Water problem at tub.

Users who are viewing this thread

Shadochasr98

Reaction score
I replaced both stems and seats in my 2 handle shower/ tub handles now I have no water coming out at all. I am not sure of the make and model as I can't find any markings on the handles or spout. But I took the stems out and matched them up at the local plumbing store. I had only a trickle of water coming out before as to the reason for changing the stems in the first place. The house was built in 1972 and this is first time to be changed. The water pressure is fine through out the house. And at sink. If I take stem out water will shoot to back of tub. Any help would be appreciated.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Remove the shower head, and see what comes out/ Do you have a tub spout with pull-up diverter?

Shadochasr98

Reaction score
Yes have taken off shower head nothing comes out. As for the faucet with a diverter yes. Bit it's off right now. As I am going to replace it in the end. Just don't want to put it on and have to take it off because I have to change something.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IF you "don't know the "make and model" there would have been absolutely no way you could be sure of installing the correct seats and stems. When they gave you the new stems, they should have told you what valve they were for, but that does not mean they were the correct ones for your faucet.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
My father In Law had a similar situation. Try this:

1. Remove the tub spout and cap it off with a hosebib or valve with a elbow pointing down. Put a bucket under it.

2. Remove the shower head and try to turn the shower head arm up. Pour some vinegar or some kind of delimer in it. You will need to do this several times to get the grit to break loose. Let it set for awhile then open the valve you installed on the spout pipe and see what drains out. You might be surprised. I sure was. Even though you turn off the shower and the spout may drain out, junk in the water will still build up and close off water passages. You should not need to turn the water supply of to do this either. You just need to get the liquid down the shower head pipe.

At first we tried a new cartidge, then an air compressor to hopefully knock something loose in the pipe, He has galvanized pipe in Sun City. The shower works like new again.

I would suggest that you go through your house and remove and clean aereators on faucet spouts and turn the water on to flush out debris. Excersise your angle stops too. Typically when you really need them to do their job they are frozen from lack of use and break. Replace with a Dahl Brothers brand angle stop. Those little things are tanks! They are made in Canada. Install a whole house filter. This is your first defense against dirt and small rocks from getting in your water system.

Last edited:

Shadochasr98

Reaction score
They assumed it was a price pfisther. Because the only marking I've seen on the faucets parts is pp and that dosen't stand for price pfisther I have since learned. The stems that where in there where not working properly. Over the last yr and half been in house water in tub has got worse, got so bad it just quit working. Took stems out brought them to local plumbing store. Installed new one and now I have no water at all. Baffled. Just baffled

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks