(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Kerdi membrane install question.

Quote Originally Posted by Amish Electrician View Post
    OK, Jad, I won't debate your religion with you.

Everything I need to fix in my house is the direct result of someone being 'smarter' than the rule book.
    Hey, what's wrong with a safety factor of .9??

Here in Minneapolis we had a 1965 POS bridge (I 35-W) over the Mississippi. It was a bare bones design, a nightmare. Every year the state had it inspected cause it kept rusting - until it collapsed (5-6 yrs ago) with about 40 cars on it. Killed some people, maimed others. But it passed inspection. Cost the state some nice $change$.
    Last edited by DougB; 03-14-2013 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Schluter has paid for an independent testing of Kerdi membrane installed over drywall and it passes all industry specifications for moisture protections IF IT IS INSTALLED PROPERLY.
    I would ask you: How many Kerdi showers have you installed?

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DougB View Post
    I would ask you: How many Kerdi showers have you installed?
    Personally, I've installed several, seen many more installed, and in contact with people that have installed many hundreds. Some argue that paid testing is biased. But, if you believe that , then you'd ignore any UL, CSA, IAMPCO, or other testing that is paid for by the manufacturer. I don't put storm windows over my windows, or an awning over my roof, to give things a second waterproofing layer...I believe, that properly installed, they can do their designed job, as I do believe Kerdi works as designed. I don't care what you use, if it is not installed properly, you can have problems. I happen to drive a BMW, but that should be irrelevant to the issue. I'm not adverse to spending more for better things, but at some point, more doesn't buy you anything except a smaller bank account, personal preferences aside.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Wow, looks like my thread came back to life in a big way this past week. Here is where I stand.

My shower is drywalled, ready for the kerdi. Haven't hung a single piece yet. Have an expensive roll of it sitting here waiting. I bought the entire roll with the understanding that I can return any I don't use.

My gut feeling, even as I was hanging the drywall was that it was a bad idea, but the kerdi dealer was adamant that drywall is the way to go. I now realize that maybe this is a marketing strategy. Kind of their way of saying their product is infalible.

So, do I rip out 50 bucks worth of drywall to avoid later ripping out a thousand bucks worth of tile/kerdi or do I continue taking great care to do it right? I am kind of leaning towards moving on and just making sure I do it right. And crossing my fingers!!!!

So, did I read right that a coat of drywall primer would be a good idea? BTW, the mortar I have is Versabond fortified thinset. I bought it from Ace hardware.

Recommendations on primer or anything else are greatly appreciated. Thanks for all your help.

Pete

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Best backer for kerdi membrane - Concrete board not drywall

Post(s) deleted by John Whipple
    Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-15-2014 at 03:07 PM.

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

You either believe the testing and the manufacturer that Kerdi, properly installed, is waterproof, or you don't. Or, you don't trust your ability to do it right. If it is waterproof, as long as what's behind it is stable and is recognized to be able to hold and bond with thinset for a good seal, it's good (there are millions of tile installed on drywall outside of a shower, so drywall is known to hold tile and thinset well as it will hold onto Kerdi). If you don't believe this, don't use it! If you don't have confidence in the manufacturer, don't use it. If you don't trust yourself that you can do it, don't do it! Versabond is a modified thinset (lightly modified, but still modified). There's nothing wrong with using cbu, or adding other products that are known to be compatible on top of it to give you extra margin except for the costs (and starting with something else may work as well and be less if you're going to combine products). If you feel that extra margin is worthwhile, go for it, it's your house, may make you sleep better. Using a modified thinset voids your warranty, as Schluter specifies only the use of an unmodified when using this material. A worst case test will be the flood test. A shower does not normally have standing water in it, and if it does because of a bad drain or something similar, it typically doesn't stay there for the common 24-hours or more a flood test checks. Very little moisture normally gets below the tile in a normal shower, but it still needs to be managed, and if not, can accumulate and cause problems. With the slope on the pan, there should be no pooling of any possible moisture underneath the tile on top of the membrane. The sheet material is waterproof, a proper 2" minimum seam may wick a little water, but not beyond the full width, unless you have too much thinset in there (this is where the technique is important). But, even then, if you have the proper slope to things, there is no hydrostatic pressure to push water into that seam - the only time it would happen is during the flood test.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

I agree with Jim. I have done hundreds of Kerdi showers with drywall and have had 0 problems. If a reputable company recommends to use regular drywall behind their product use it. Besides drywall is way easier to cut than CBU and also less money.

Blog Entries

Default Should you flood test showers built with Kerdi? Yes

Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-15-2014 at 03:07 PM.

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

I don't need to flood test it because I know it won't leak. You can do your showers how ever you want. I will do the same. Besides if I ever did have a problem I know that Schluter would stand behind me on it and if one of the showers was to leak I would have had a phone call. I will always recommend using drywall behind Kerdi. You can recommend what ever you want.

Blog Entries

Default Are you required to flood test Kerdi Showers in Springbrook, Wisconsin? Answer is Yes

Last edited by johnfrwhipple; 03-15-2014 at 03:08 PM.

And now we know why you were banned from our site. Surprised Terry hasn't banned you.

Blog Entries

Default Polk and Barron County - Plumbing requirements (flood tests)

Kerdi has been around for a long time, many showers installed with it. Most local inspectors will look at the certification from an independent lab and the manufacturer's installation instructions and, if those are followed accept it. If yours doesn't don't fight them, you'll lose either time or money and it's not worth the aggravation. If you take the time to read the certification document I'm linking to http://www.icc-es.org/reports/pdf_fi...S/ESR-2467.pdf, you will see that it was both tested and passed with the use of drywall in a shower. It also passed with other backer materials. Any of those work, your choice, since the certification covers all. The manufacturer indicates in their installation instructions their preference for drywall as the easier, less costly installation media. You are not required to use it, but if installed per the instructions, it is fine.
    Jim DeBruycker

Blog Entries

I kind of like that Ardex stuff. I was thinking putting it over the kerdi along seams and corners might be a worthwhile bit of insurance. Does it apply over Kerdi OK?