Water Pressure to Shower Head in Tub/Shower is Low

Users who are viewing this thread

Milanomike

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Need some help here, 10 year old Am Std pressure balance tub/shower kit (pressure balance valve R120 or R125 series). Diverter valve leaked really bad, little water to shower. Replaced spout/diverter valve, no more leaking at spout, good!. However, pressure to shower head is only a bit better. Disassembled and cleaned shower head, seems fine; however, pressure at shower head with no head on it is not great, water should shoot out of there at decent pressure. By the way, not a "big box" unit, learned long ago to buy this stuff at plumbing supply place.

Took cartridge off and it looks fine, should I just replace it?

Was wondering is I should completely disassemble pressure balance unit. There is a plastic piece with an o-ring in the manifold, not sure if this comes out, did not want to break it. I think I completely disassembled when I soldered this thing in during remodel 10 yrs back, but can't recall for sure. Can this be completely disassembled and cleaned? Seems like I want to make sure manifold is not plugged/clogged, right?

Other options, don't really want to tear into this, but daughter needs shower to work.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Mike

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Has the volume of water out of the tub spout changed since you "fixed" it? If you are now getting less water out of the spout, then there is a high probability that some crud got stirred up and is now affecting the pressure balance cartridge. The spout and the shower share the same supply and cartridge.

Milanomike

Reaction score
No, water pressure/volume to tub is fine before and after. It's the pressure to the shower that is considerably lower. Guess I could swap shower heads from the other bath to make sure it's not the shower head. Will report back.

Milanomike

Reaction score
Duh, just switched ancient shower head from other bath to the problem shower and guess what it seems fine! OK, off to buy a new shower head.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks