Comfort height or CEFIONTECT?

Users who are viewing this thread

terri0826

Reaction score
We are in the middle of a gut remodel/addition and never in my wildest dreams would I have thought it would take so long to decide on toilets......

I'm set on Toto, dh not so much. But here are our requirements

1.6 (a must for DH)
elongated
one piece (mostly because of made in USA)
comfort height (mid 50s at this point, but this is hopefully our last home and I've heard this is so much easier as we age)
CEFIONTECT (have read great things about it here and another forum)

Thought I had decided on UltraMax, then realized I can't get both comfort height and CEFIONTECT on this one. The only option to fill all of our wants is the Ryohan, it is just so contemporary and squatty looking.

So, which is more important to you? Comfort height or CEFIONTECT?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The Ultramax II is comfort height with CEFIONTECT. It's a 1.28 Watersense
It's one of my biggest sellers, and I have one for my master.

If you want more water, the handle can be held down and it will drop about 3 gallons.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Cheating by changing the flapper valve so it stays up longer would get you a 1.6g toilet, but that's just a waste of water! Go for the II, and if you decide you really need more water, there are easy ways to achieve that.

terri0826

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will pass along this info. We put a Carolina II in the MIL apartment and he hates it, so I will tell him about holding the handle down and see if it helps.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If a 2-1/8" trapway isn't working for him, perhaps he needs the Caroma's 3" trapway. Caroma has the largest trapway out there.
For situations where there is a medical issue, it's what we recommend.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
If a toilet clogs, more water isn't going to help! A bigger pathway may be the needed solution. But, not all toilets are created equal, so one shouldn't condemn the 1.6/1.28g classes as a group.

terri0826

Reaction score
I realize 1.2 from all accounts works as well as 1.6. He wants 1.6, no medical issues.
I'm just curious which you would rather have, comfort height or CEFIONTECT.
Thank you for your time.

Reaction score
We have a Promenade that is comfort height, round, with CEFIONTECT and now a Dartmouth that is comfort height, elongated, and no CEFIONTECT (not available).

They look the same and so far are functionally the same. To be honest, the CEFIONTECT on the Promenade still lets things stick and after a vacation allowed a small red ring of mold to form. A quick cleaning takes care of it, but so did cleaning a non-CEFIONTECT toilet. So if the SG is available, go ahead and get it, but so far I don't regret not getting it on the Dartmouth.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
I find that mine with CEFIONTECT are easier to clean and keep clean verses my old ones. No toilet self-cleans itself and if you're coming from an old gully washer that used 3.5 to as much as 7-8 gallons on a flush, you will notice. Streaking is very much dependent on diet, hydration, and literally, how you sit on a toilet. Toto's seats tend to have a fairly significant dish to them, positioning things for optimum disposal...doesn't always work, never will, everyone's different.

terri0826

Reaction score
Thanks Jim. I've decided to forego the CEFIONTECT for comfort height. We've got comfort height in our current house and are used to them and as we get older I think they will be easier on the joints :)

I've never had a hard time cleaning a toilet, mostly the slight ring after being gone a couple weeks as Anthony mentioned. And I'm sure the non-CEFIONTECT Toto china is better than some toilets we've had in the past! After this I hope I never have to give this much thought to a toilet ever again..... now on to bath tubs.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
I would just go with the Ultramax II and if you want a little more water in the flush, swap the flapper for a Korky adjustable 3" flapper (which allows you to set how long it takes to close).

I don't understand some of the abbreviations you are using, but what does the other person hate about the Carolina II in the (other?) apartment?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those of us that grew up with toilets that used from 3 gallons to as much as 7 gallons of water per flush have a difficult time believing that you can get a quality flush with 1.28 gallons of water. Average height people also don't really realize the difference the extra couple of inches make in a toilet's height until Father Time catches up with the knees. I fall into the latter class. Now if I have to use a standard height toilet, it reminds me of hunting in the great outdoors and having to answer natures call. Standing up after sitting with my butt lower that my knees requires painful and difficult effort and makes me appreciate the Comfort Height toilets at home.

terri0826

Reaction score
wjcandee, we built a shop with what is referred to as a mother-in-law apartment upstairs in it. Not sure why the husband (referred to as DH) doesn't like, but after reading Gary's post I think he has hit the nail on the head. That and husband is a wee bit hardheaded...... UltraMax it is. I think :)

Thanks everyone!

Jadnashua

Reaction score
NM may have a significant rebate for a 1.28g toilet, that may not apply for a 1.6g. Might be worth looking into.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks