Faucets & Other Plumbing Parts at Big Box Stores

Users who are viewing this thread

DanMcD

Reaction score
Is it true that faucets & other plumbing parts at Big Box stores are lower quality than those bought at a plumbing supply house?

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Some of them.

We have many times found the same faucet will weigh less at the box stores, and often they have a slightly different model number. They will have product made up for them that is less expensive, because after all, people expect to pay less there, and what better way then to bring in cheaper stuff to sell. If you look at the Moen site, you will notice different part numbers depending on who is selling it.

I know flooring guys that won't install box store stuff. They tell me it's thinner than what they normally install. And if there is a problem with it, the homeowner blames the installer. The best way to keep the customer happy is to install known product.

And then there are the returned boxes that go back on the shelf.
Sometimes a part is "too much money", so someone picks up an entire faucet, and then swap their old parts and keep the new innards. They return it saying it wasn't needed, and back it goes on the shelf. Kohler now puts a date on the valve body and the cartridge for just that reason. You can tell if the good part has been swapped out.

I don't buy my parts there either. I have my supplier bring in stuff I like.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the part number on the box is exactly the same, it's probably the same thing. Often, to prevent cross-shopping, they'll make up similar items with exactly the same name, but minor differences for each seller. IOW, you can't just go by the 'name' on the thing, you have to compare the exact same part numbers as well. THen, because the big box stores often sell a 'kit' of components, you can't tell, since the manufactuer often specifies them as individual pieces. It's tough sometimes, unless you have both in had to see if there are any differences, and even then, without taking it apart, you may not be able to tell easily.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
In terms of items like faucets themselves, this is hotly debated but in my opinion, you will always have the same basic "guts" to the item, but they will cut corners by using a plastic drain, possibly plastic handles ,etc. You can call that a "quality" issue if you like, but as mentioned by terry, a much more troublesome issue which the box stores don't like to talk about....is the selling of returned items.

As for "material" such as ball valves, they sell mostly name brand items, but if you find Mueller instead of Nibco...again, we can debate the quality. But supply houses also sell Mueller, or whatever

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Is it true that faucets & other plumbing parts at Big Box stores are lower quality than those bought at a plumbing supply house?

I find this to be true on a monthly basis. I would never purchase a toilet or shower fixture at Home Depot, Lowes, Rona or the like.

Support the smaller plumbing stores. Order your stuff from Terry. Why buy the cheapest crap at $10.00 cheaper at the Box Outlet.

JW

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
My experience has bee that even when they are exactly the same model, the "inspection process" is deficient with the BB stores. I have had customer buy plumbing items with defects that would NEVER make it to a plumbing supply store. It appears that they eliminate the "final inspection" and send EVERY item to the store. Then the customer installs it. Afterwards if there is a problem the customer either lives with it and the company and BB store have made a profit. Otherwise, the customer removes it, returns it to the store, gets a new one, and installs it. The store then sends it back to the manufacturer or junks it and gets a credit. But either way they manufacturer and BB store do not lose anything because if it had been found bad with the inspection they would have thrown it away anyway. One customer bought several faucets and almost every one had something wrong with it. By the time I was finished, it cost her about 3 times what it should have because of installing then removing them and then waiting, or returning, after she got the new ones.

Last edited:

DanMcD

Reaction score
Pop Up Drains For Tubs & Sinks

For my KOhler villager or bellwether CI tubs and my bathroon sinks, is the pop up drain recommended over the older style drains that have a lever to pull up the drain or to close it?

It seems the lever types do not last very long before thy stick.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; It seems the lever types do not last very long before thy stick.

Well, they DO last a fairly long time, but if they are NEVER used to close the tub drain they WILL stick, and usually stick tightly. That is why I ALWAYS use the push/pull drains for tubs. Sinks always use the rod operated drain system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks