Installing a freestanding tub in a dog grooming salon

Users who are viewing this thread

aybesee123

Reaction score
My wife is opening a grooming salon and we are trying to get it done as cheaply as possible. We are at the point where we need to install the freestanding bathtub. What I expected to be a simple task I am now not so certain of. As a nmatter of fact I can even figure out where to turn the water off at on this commercial space. I do expect to manage shutting off the water in short order but am not sure about the plumbing connections.

I was told this space was used as a small restaurant, and that the pipes coming out of the wall were a mixture of gas and water/drain pipes. DSC06935.jpgDSC06937.jpgDSC06936.jpgDSC06940.jpg

I am under the belief that what I am looking at is hot and cold water outlet with a 2" drain pipe directly under, I have this setup times two. If I am correct that this is a drain pipe is it reasonable to expect there must be a vent in the wall for this drain? Can I expect to be able to just attach to this drain without any issue? If I remove the caps from what I expect are water outlets can I expect them to be threaded or will it be bare copper pipe?

Please excuse my ignorance in this matter, I am appreciative of any insight anyone can provide. I will be sure to respond with updates!

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Those caps are soldered on, and whoever did it did NOT do you any favors, because the stubs are so short you cannot just cut the caps off, and since they will have water in them you also cannot just heat them to remove the caps. One thing you CAN be sure of is that neither of those openings is a 'gas' line since they would NOT have used a torch on a gas line. They probably also glued the drain cap on, but there is enough pipe so you can cut that cap off.

aybesee123

Reaction score
Those caps are soldered on, and whoever did it did NOT do you any favors, because the stubs are so short you cannot just cut the caps off, and since they will have water in them you also cannot just heat them to remove the caps. One thing you CAN be sure of is that neither of those openings is a 'gas' line since they would NOT have used a torch on a gas line. They probably also glued the drain cap on, but there is enough pipe so you can cut that cap off.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Would you expect that a vent for the drain would likely already be in place inside the wall if I have a drain tube and water outlets exposed as in this scenario? :confused:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
This is a leased commercial space, right? Why are you not asking these questions of your landlord? Does your lease even include plumbing/water service? There may be
things the landlord needs to do to activate water/sewer service, so you'd best be consulting with them before you try to hook up to these utilities.

aybesee123

Reaction score
This is a leased commercial space, right? Why are you not asking these questions of your landlord? Does your lease even include plumbing/water service? There may be
things the landlord needs to do to activate water/sewer service, so you'd best be consulting with them before you try to hook up to these utilities.

Yes, leased commercial. I deal with property management and have spoken with them. They do provide service to basic utilities such as bathroom sink and toilet. They are not going to install a dog grooming tub for me however as that is not part of our lease agreement. It is up to me to get the tub installed, that is why I am here to get a perspective of the size of job and if I could attempt it myself. Water and sewer is currently on.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
My first thought is that the drain fitting in the wall may be to high for the trap on the tub. If that is the case, the wall is going to need to be cut open so that the drain can be lowered. If it is a horizontal drain in the wall, then much additional work will be required.

Not everything is always as straight-forward as one can see in a picture.

aybesee123

Reaction score
My first thought is that the drain fitting in the wall may be to high for the trap on the tub. If that is the case, the wall is going to need to be cut open so that the drain can be lowered. If it is a horizontal drain in the wall, then much additional work will be required.

Not everything is always as straight-forward as one can see in a picture.

The tub is a raised tub and the trap is above the drain by at least a foot.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
EVERYTHING inside the wall is correct. You only have to worry about the connections to the sink. Getting the caps off and the valves on will be the hardest part of the job. Once that is accomplished the connections are simple.

aybesee123

Reaction score
EVERYTHING inside the wall is correct. You only have to worry about the connections to the sink. Getting the caps off and the valves on will be the hardest part of the job. Once that is accomplished the connections are simple.

Thanks a lot for the input. It crossed my mind that maybe I could turn the water off and drill a small hole in the end of each cap, drain residual water and then heat the pipe ends to remove the caps. I was able to break the seal on one of the drain caps, the other will not break free. I spoke with a licensed plumber and showed him the photos, he quoted me approx $350.

I think I may give it a shot myself...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Are you referring to the water pipe caps, since there is only one "drain line cap", or at least you only need one. Good luck, and don't do anything that would make the plumber have to charge MORE than $350 to correct your "mess", such as damage the water lines so he has to open the wall to replace them.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks