Structo lite for base of whirlpool

Users who are viewing this thread

clapfc

Reaction score
OK, big box store tried to sell me quick-set cement mix (the green bag) to use on floor of drop-in deck to stabilize the whirlpool. Just did not sound right so I asked a contractor I know and he recommended structo-lite. Am I ok with the structo-lite? Once down I will cover with the polymer & set the tub in.
Has anybody used this before?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You've got your order of operations slightly upset...it will be almost impossible to get a perfect surface to set your tub on if you let it cure before you set the tub...so, put some piles, strategically placed where they'll support things, throw down the plastic (it doesn't hurt to have some on the floor before throwing the piles down - this helps keep the subflooring from absorbing too much water from the mix - concrete products cure, and incorporate the moisture into their crystalline structure...it doesn't dry), and then mush the tub into it while looking at the level(s) so you have it perfectly level and at the height you want.

clapfc

Reaction score
Maybe there is some confusion here. I am not going to let the mix cure before I set the tub into it. My plan was to put roof tar paper down, lay down the mix at 2x the height needed, cover with polymer & set the tub into it pushing down (standing in the tub) so the foam feet rests on the sub-floor but squashed all around the mix; and then let it cure.

My question was, is stucto-lite a good product to use in this situation? Has anyone ever used it? were you satisfied with it? Would you recommend or not recommend using it?

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I have heard of others using it, but do not know what advantages it would have over common masonry mortar.

joemcl

In the Trades
Reaction score
We set all of our tubs and shower bases with stuctolite. Never covered mix with polymer. Just straight into mix.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Okay, you may find that the tub doesn't squish if you have too much there. Terry suggests putting multiple piles of it down, rather than trying to be at all neat and level with it. Also, if it doesn't sit perfectly level both end-to-end and side-to-side, do NOT push it down so the feet are on the subfloor...push it down until it is level. One or more of the feet may then be on the subfloor, but if supported well, none need to be.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks