Power went down and Powerful Backflush Happend

Users who are viewing this thread

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
I had recently purchased 2 as cadet 3 flowise toilets that quite working after 2 weeks so I have place an order for 2 TOTO eco drakes they are currently on back order. Well last night around 8 PM We had a small brown out both toilets shot out water and my sewage lines came apart in 6 different locations. Called an emergency plumber and he told me I had experience a powerful back flow due to no ventilation and he wants around 850$$$$ to fix. now what do I do other than replace the drains? at total I am looking at 1400 expense including 2 new totos?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Got a sinkhole under there? Being partly serious here...it would take some really strange situations to generate enough hydrostatic pressure in a drainage system that would blow the pipes apart, and lack of vents isn't one of them that I can think of unless they didn't make the joints properly. Now, if they didn't use the right cement, or failed to use any, things could 'spontaneously' come apart given the right circumstances, but it would still be tough.

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
Ok, my local Plummer Mr. Newton showed up about an hour ago and he saying the pipes were clogged and then froze and that the reason it blew back was from where I used the air force on the shopvac to blow the lines clean from outside and apparently the brittle pipe broke apart here are a couple of pictures on the broke frozen pipes.
pipe.jpgpipe2.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Now, freezing makes sense, but that usually doesn't happen even up north where it gets much colder more often because people there know about a frost line, and bury their drain (and supply) pipes deep enough so it doesn't happen! THis may have been a freakish, infrequent cold snap, but failing to bury lines deep enough can be quite catastrophic. A frozen/split water supply line could make a big sink hole and cost a bunch, too. From both a safety (from breaking them while doing normal gardening or driving over them) to cold, it makes sense to bury these things at least a couple of feet down. How deep were yours where they froze? Were they IN the building, and the heat was off, or buried?

joemcl

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lower pics seems to be abs solvent on pvc pipe with poor coverage at that looking at where coupling has blown apart. Upper pic either no primer, or they used clear.

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
they were not buried at all i am in a manufactured home.
Now, freezing makes sense, but that usually doesn't happen even up north where it gets much colder more often because people there know about a frost line, and bury their drain (and supply) pipes deep enough so it doesn't happen! THis may have been a freakish, infrequent cold snap, but failing to bury lines deep enough can be quite catastrophic. A frozen/split water supply line could make a big sink hole and cost a bunch, too. From both a safety (from breaking them while doing normal gardening or driving over them) to cold, it makes sense to bury these things at least a couple of feet down. How deep were yours where they froze? Were they IN the building, and the heat was off, or buried?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks