Bathroom sink plumbing question (very basic)

Users who are viewing this thread

eoren1

Reaction score
So our bathroom sink has been very slow to drain and I finally decided to do something about it. Figured one of the kids dropped a lego piece and it was wedged in the trap. Looked under, undid the trap and found nothing. I did note the perplexing design of the piping though. Wondering if there is any reason why I can't/shouldn't disassemble this thing and do a simple drop/trap/elbow/out setup. I have the clearance to lower the trap so it can then be at the height of the exit pipe (sorry, I know that's not the right term).
Thanks in advance,
E

IMG_0806.JPG

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Someone went to a lot of trouble to make a very complex, and completely illegal, drain connection. It is the old story of someone thinking "anyone can do plumbing" if he has enough pipe and fittings.

eoren1

Reaction score
Thanks HJ.

So can this 'anyone' undo the above and just get a longer straight PVC hooked to the trap and then elbow out?

By the way, why is this 'illegal'?

Appreciate the help for this newbie.

E

eoren1

Reaction score
Reading a bit more, I guess this is a convoluted 'S' trap. Just ordered a new faucet/drain assembly as the one up top needed to be updated and will take out all of this piping and replace with a proper P trap.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
yes it is an S. Just use a longer tailpiece down from the sink so that the trap arm outlet goes straight to the wall.

eoren1

Reaction score
Well...in for a penny, in for a pound...right?

Just ordered a new Moen Eva 6410 faucet and drain to replace the vintage 60's model attached up top. Just got back from HD with all the stuff I need to put in a nice clean P drain below. Nice Sunday project coming up.

Thanks everyone!

Hammerlane

Reaction score
And why the need for the PVC? why not tubular?

Attachments

• 100_5717.jpg
    100_5717.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 806

eoren1

Reaction score
So the project is done...sort of - need some help/advice

I removed the old faucet and all PVC from below (man that was a PITA). Then installed the new faucet and piping. All seemed fine. Of note the PVC threaded into the discharge pipe with a 1 1/2" male threaded piece. I primed/glued at two spots and thought I was good to go. Turned on the water...okay.

Then, at the point where the old setup would start backfilling the sink, I was now getting water out of the attachment to the sink drain. I disconnected everything and shined a light into the discharge pipe - clean to the turn. Reassembled and tightened as far as I could and ran water at a slow level...fine. Bit faster and the same thing happened.

So I'm guessing the old S piping was to make up for something else happening 'down the pipe'. Think I'm stuck now and need to call my plumber but was hoping someone could chime in with their thoughts on what might be wrong.

Thanks
E

Old faucet
IMG_0854.jpg

New faucet
IMG_0857.jpg

New piping
IMG_0855.jpg

eoren1

Reaction score
Hmmm....guessing that I've moved beyond the realm of DIY if I need to buy something more than a handheld version.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Lavatory drains SELDOM drain fully when the faucet is flowing aerated water directly on to them. You can only tell if it needs snaking when the faucet is turned off with water in the sink. I would NOT have used sch.40 drain fittings, but that is just a personal preference.

Gordan

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "getting water out of the attachment to the sink drain." Do you mean where the sink tailpiece goes into the trap? If so, there should be a little plastic compression ring under that compression nut. If there isn't, it will leak. Your drain should be water tight no matter what happens in the sink. The tailpiece also does not appear to be going straight into the trap - looks like it's at an angle. Enough of an angle will definitely create issues with sealing.

eoren1

Reaction score
So the plumber came and fixed it all...

Not sure how far he had to go or what tool he ended up using (I was at work at time) but he texted me back the root of the problem.... "dental floss" - we don't even use the stringy stuff (prefer the single use ones) which means that stuff predates our move to the house 3 years ago

Also tightened up my piping underneath and got that damn plunger part of the faucet to stay up when trying to depress the part that seals the sink to fill with water. I hadn't been able to figure that one out and was too tired/sore at that point to try.

He was due to come in at some point to remove our old whole house trap so able to kill two birds with one stone.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks