PVC to Sillcock - Best Way?

Users who are viewing this thread

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
quote; that applies to outbuildings as well?

It will be just a "destructive" to fix under an outbuilding as it would be in your house. You use a sch. 80 threaded nipple cut in half, sch. 40 would be too thin to make a "substantial" thread. A "sleeve" around PVC pipe under a concrete floor does NOTHING, except give you one more layer of pipe to go through to reach the broken pipe or fittings.
Thanks. I simply assumed Sch 80 was not the same diameter as Sch 40. Good to know.

Insofar as the pipe in the concrete, live and learn. Of course, I wish I'd known this sooner but there's not too much I can do about it at this point.

Tipsy

Last edited:

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
hj, would it be okay it I were to cut a Sch 80 nipple, screw that directly into the sillcock, pass the nipple through the wall and simply glue the cut nipple into the PVC (with an elbow) inside the shed?

Tipsy

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Why are you trying to add more pvc above ground when it shouldn't be there in the first place??? Convert to copper where you can and go from there.

TipsMcStagger

Reaction score
Why are you trying to add more pvc above ground when it shouldn't be there in the first place??? Convert to copper where you can and go from there.
Well, I'm King Dumbass. I used a 3/4" PVC to CPVC adapter. I then stepped the 3/4" CPVC down to 1/2" CPVC and installed a sillcock using a Quick Bibb mount. It's very secure.

I turned on the the main and noticed a few drops. Stupid me, I forgot to cement one joint (CPVC to CPVC). I quickly turned the water off and in my haste to make this right I figured I'd use Rain-R-Shine since the pipes were wet. I got it glued together and instantly realized Rain-R-Shine is meant for PVC, not CPVC. I've read that it's hot water that's not suitable for Rain-R-Shine (this is cold water only) but I won't be able to sleep at night knowing I used the wrong cement.

I'll have to redo it in the morning. Doh!

Tipsy

Sillcock 2.jpg

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
CPVC IS okay for interior plumbing use, but you did say PVC...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks