(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PVC to Sillcock - Best Way?

Quote Originally Posted by Terry View Post
    hj should have said "building"

Code doesn't care what size the building is. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.
    Got it. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    Use a coupling and half of a PVC nipple glued into it, then transition to a copper female adapter. From there, you would install the hose faucet just as if the whole thing was copper with the piping secured against any stress or movement.
    I tried to piece this together today based on HJ's advice but hit a roadblock at the PVC nipple. The only PVC nipples I could find were an Orbit irrigation nipple (seemed to be thinner than Sch 40) and a Sch 80 nipple. Not that I hold the guys who work in the home centers in the highest esteem but I was told by one gentlemen that Sch 40 PVC nipples don't exist.

Tipsy

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Glue a male threaded fitting onto the pipe stub, then use a female copper fitting on it.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Glue a male threaded fitting onto the pipe stub, then use a female copper fitting on it.
    I had those components in my hands but based bold and italicized comment in the below quote, I thought I should seek more advice prior to moving forward.

Tipsy

...a male PVC adapter is one of the weakest fittings made and WILL crack at the thread. Use a coupling and half of a PVC nipple glued into it, then transition to a copper female adapter.
    Last edited by TipsMcStagger; 03-06-2013 at 08:47 PM.

Wait for the plumbers' advice to be sure, but I seem to remember that PVC Sch 80 nipples are used for both Sch 40 and Sch 80 fittings (same o.d. and threads maybe?).
    Old Retired Computer Programmer
    Obsolete and loving it

quote; that applies to outbuildings as well?

It will be just a "destructive" to fix under an outbuilding as it would be in your house. You use a sch. 80 threaded nipple cut in half, sch. 40 would be too thin to make a "substantial" thread. A "sleeve" around PVC pipe under a concrete floor does NOTHING, except give you one more layer of pipe to go through to reach the broken pipe or fittings.
    Last edited by hj; 03-07-2013 at 05:46 AM.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

quote; that applies to outbuildings as well?

It will be just a "destructive" to fix under an outbuilding as it would be in your house. You use a sch. 80 threaded nipple cut in half, sch. 40 would be too thin to make a "substantial" thread. A "sleeve" around PVC pipe under a concrete floor does NOTHING, except give you one more layer of pipe to go through to reach the broken pipe or fittings.
    Thanks. I simply assumed Sch 80 was not the same diameter as Sch 40. Good to know.

Insofar as the pipe in the concrete, live and learn. Of course, I wish I'd known this sooner but there's not too much I can do about it at this point.

Tipsy
    Last edited by TipsMcStagger; 03-07-2013 at 06:14 AM.

hj, would it be okay it I were to cut a Sch 80 nipple, screw that directly into the sillcock, pass the nipple through the wall and simply glue the cut nipple into the PVC (with an elbow) inside the shed?

Tipsy

Why are you trying to add more pvc above ground when it shouldn't be there in the first place??? Convert to copper where you can and go from there.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Why are you trying to add more pvc above ground when it shouldn't be there in the first place??? Convert to copper where you can and go from there.
    Well, I'm King Dumbass. I used a 3/4" PVC to CPVC adapter. I then stepped the 3/4" CPVC down to 1/2" CPVC and installed a sillcock using a Quick Bibb mount. It's very secure.

I turned on the the main and noticed a few drops. Stupid me, I forgot to cement one joint (CPVC to CPVC). I quickly turned the water off and in my haste to make this right I figured I'd use Rain-R-Shine since the pipes were wet. I got it glued together and instantly realized Rain-R-Shine is meant for PVC, not CPVC. I've read that it's hot water that's not suitable for Rain-R-Shine (this is cold water only) but I won't be able to sleep at night knowing I used the wrong cement.

I'll have to redo it in the morning. Doh!

Tipsy

Name:  Sillcock 2.jpg
Views: 50
Size:  40.8 KB
    Last edited by TipsMcStagger; 03-07-2013 at 05:53 PM.

CPVC IS okay for interior plumbing use, but you did say PVC...
    Jim DeBruycker

CPVC IS okay for interior plumbing use, but you did say PVC...
    I'm not really sure what your point is? It was discussed earlier in this thread that PVC is not meant for indoor use. I'm aware of that.

Tipsy