is liquid in tank cleaner like Ty D Bol bad for toilets?

Users who are viewing this thread

Cameron Fields

Undergraduate
Reaction score
I know this is probably a really dumb question but I have been asked it a lot. is liquid in tank cleaner like Ty D Bol bad for toilets?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Anything you install in the tank that dispenses its contents into the tank is likely not good for the rubber components. Not sure exactly what's in that, but anything that contains bleach will render the rubber components (the flapper valve, and maybe other things) into slimy crud in short order. One company makes a system that mounts in the tank, but goes in series with the bowl refill hose, and dumps it down the overflow rather than the tank. That shouldn't mess with the tank's rubber components, but will sit in the bowl until the next flush.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Every manufacturer advises against cleaners that are dispensed in tanks for the exact reason Jim explained.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Everything they say above is true. I just looked at the TyDBowl MSDS and it looks as if it contains mostly detergent and dispersants; no mention of chlorine, which is the real bugaboo for rubber. That said, the other junk isn't likely to actually help the components even if it doesn't harm them as clearly as chlorine does.

joemcl

In the Trades
Reaction score
If you read the paperwork that comes with the toilet it states use if in tank cleaners voids mfgr. warranty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks