Closet bend? … what am I dealing with??

Users who are viewing this thread

idssteve

Reaction score
The ABS toilet closet bend stubbed up out of the slab protrudes 1†above the floor surface. It measures 4.5†OD and 3.75â€ID. I’m no pro so these dimensions seem strange to me. This tube has been wrapped with foam and duct tape to create an opening in the slab that is about 6†diameter. No good way to anchor the toilet. What am I dealing with? What kind of fittings will I need to install a closet flange? Appreciate any comments.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
IT was installed CORRECTLY. You just need a conventional 4" flange that fits OVER the pipe. Apply glue to the riser and the flange and slide the flange down until it is on the floor. Then cut the riser off flush with the top of the flange. I, and most plumbers, do not worry about anchoring a flange on a concrete floor because the bend is NOT going to move anywhere with the dirt packed around it.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
If the flange sticks out over the concrete you can use Tapcon screws to anchor to the concrete,
If you have open space hang some stainless steel screws down though the flange and then fill in with a very soupy mixture
of instant set concrete mix

Last edited by a moderator:

idssteve

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Is there a name for the flange fitting i should ask for? Some over the pipe flanges ive found around here would slip over a 4"OD pipe but wont slip over the 4.5" diameter "pipe" sticking out of the slab. ??

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Most if not all piping in plumbing is measured by inside diameter, 4" ID = 4.5" OD.

Attachments

• abs over pipe flange.jpg
    abs over pipe flange.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 607
Last edited:

idssteve

Reaction score
Thanks again guys, obviously i'm needing something to slip over a standard 4" pipe. The largest ID flanges found at our local "hardware" are 4.5" OD, just like the pipe i'm trying to slip over. That fitting looks like it would fit over a 3.5" (4"od) pipe for what good that does. Everything else in that store is smaller. The first thing the young girl showed me was something to mount a clothes hanger rod in a closet :) but she is trying to help. Her father will be back next week and promises to order what ever i need. I just don't know what to call the "conventional" 4" slip over flange?? A "...4" slip over flange"?? ;) Their catalogs don't seem to list anything with a name like that. ??

Try as i might, there just isn't enough slab to screw the flange screws into. Filling the gap with thin set of some kind (epoxy?) sounds viable if there's a way to get the stuff in there after the flange is set. We're planning to mount an ADA toilet and feel like it needs to be anchored pretty solidly. Thanks again for the very useful ideas. All i need now is the right flange. :)

idssteve

Reaction score
I believe what you are looking for is an Oatey 43521 if they can order it.

http://www.oatey.com/doc/Level Fit Flange with Metal Ring.pdf

Alternatively, the riser can be cut to the proper height for whatever 4" flange you choose.

edit to add- 43521 for PVC pipe, 43520 for ABS pipe.

Thank you VERY much. That 43520 should do the trick. They had an Oatey catalog so all is well. :)

Embarrassing thing for me is that it's simply called a 4" closet flange... ;) No clue what the flange we originally found is called but we're on the right path now.

Thanks again! :)

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Funniest part about that spec sheet is that the description in the tech specs box says that the 3"/4" one fits inside a 3" pipe and over a 4" pipe.

They get it right in the description below: the 3"/4" one solvent-welds inside the 4" or over the 3" while the Over-4" one solvent-welds over (outside) a 4" pipe.

idssteve

Reaction score
Yeah, makes you wonder who's editing their spec sheets but Oatey's been at this for a LONG time. :).
I'd originally started with a 3"/4" flange but the ID of the existing fitting is about 3-3/4". The 3"/4" flange fits inside a 4"ID pipe. The other flange they had was 4"ID 4.5"OD. Obviously intended to fit inside of a 4.5"ID socket. First one of those I've seen but I'm no pro. ;).

Only other issue is anchoring the flange. I'll probably hang stainless screws as macplumb suggested & pour some Chockfast through the flange's T slots. That should also help seal against toilet overflows running under the slab. Amazing how little concern there seems about sealing under flanges?

Thanks again for everyone's suggestions AND patience. :)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; 3"/4" one fits inside a 3" pipe and over a 4" pipe.

You have it backwards. It fits OVER a 3" pipe and inside a 4" hub. The ones that are "pipe size", like that one, are "spigot closet flanges". I once had a realtor whose father owned a hardware store. When she was younger, she helped out. One day a man asked for a "3/8 inch nipple" and she slapped him.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks