Ok, problem with a house. We bought a house from auction. walked into the basement to see a brand new 50 gallon gas hotwater heater installed. Old heater is sitting in the corner which was a 40 gallon short heater. You can see that when they installed the brand new heater it is way higher than the orginal and that the vent pipe if attached would go either slightly down or straight across and not the 1/4 inch incline per ft of pipe required. Now here is my question? Can I just add a powervent and vent this through the wall? I'd hate to uninstall this brand new heater, I would say it is probably atleat a 400 to 500 dollar heater. The heater works fine when turned on it just isn't vented. I see draft inducer's for sale but I didn't know if they were universal or what I need to do to connect one to solve this problem.