does Drain order matter?

Users who are viewing this thread

kellyb

Reaction score
the plumber came yesterday to look at our basement bathroom remodel. Currently, the shower and lav join together and then into the 4 in drain.They are vented on an AAV on the lav. The toilet then joins the 4 in pipe immediatley downstream of the wye for the shower and lav. No more vents.

We are wanting to move the shower to the other side of the toilet. The plumber said he could tie into the drain downstream of the toilet for the shower. He suggested either a new AAV on the lav, or tieing a vent from the lav into a vent stack that is about 10 feet away. But again, only the one vent.

It seems to me that I have read on this site that this kind of set up will cause the toilet to suck the shower trap dry. Am I understanding this correctly? If yes, whats the solution? I cant see a way to tie the shower in upstream of the toilet. A vent on the shower too?

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Normally, each trap is vented. The vents can be tied together so you only have one exiting the roof, though if done high enough. An AAV is not the preferred way to vent things, but can be made to work in certain situations. One of the pros may have some better ideas, but it would be helpful if you could provide a drawing or picture of the arrangement, changes you wish to make. They would also probably need to know the sizes of the existing piping. My unprofessional opinion.

kellyb

Reaction score
thanks jim
i can get pics tonight. But for now, its all 2 inch pipes.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Jad, it appears your internal date on the computer is a few months behind. The only way to connect the shower after the toilet is if it has its own vent to equalize air pressures.

kellyb

Reaction score
So here is what the plumber proposed. His company has done work for us before that we are quite happy with, but this particular guy didnt seem to sure how to tackle this job. He is also not who would do it.
So if the vent was on the shower, can the lav be wet vented, or do we need vents on either side?

Attachments

• proposed plumbing.jpg
    proposed plumbing.jpg
    27.3 KB · Views: 298
Last edited:

kellyb

Reaction score
Help, please! I need to know if I need to find another plumber, or if this is gonna be ok! :eek: :confused:

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks