Kenmore in door water despenser

Users who are viewing this thread

Houseman

Reaction score
Hi again. Some time ago I posted here ( I think here) about my ice maker not filling with water. As it happened I found a small piece of solder (I think it was) in the line. Thats fixed, but now the water dispenser in the door has suddenly stopped. I have taken the line off and blown through it looking for another obstruction, and it is clean. When I push the lever for water there is a slight hum behind the fridge so it seems the solenoid is working (?). The last time some kind soul posted complete instructions, with diagrams on how to check the solenoid and water valve in a Kenmore model # 106-59082891. I wonder if that kind individual is still here and willing to help a novice again? :) Thanks in advance guys!

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The easiest way to "check" it is to remove the hose from the valve outlet, connect another hose to it, or put a pan under it, and then press the button. Your dispenser hose is probably frozen so water cannot flow through it.

Houseman

Reaction score
Your a wise man hi . :) I took the front kick panel off, there is water to where the clear hose joins the black hose going up through the door hinge to the dispenser. Gotta be frozen...Thanks so much for you input, great to have guys here that are willing to help! :)

4x15mph

Reaction score
I have had the same problem with a GE refrigerator. As it turns out the freezing water line is a common issue so when the appliance repair person showed up, they installed a small heater on the board to prevent this. This worked great for about 5 years but the problem is back. I researched this and found others that recommended thawing it out with a hair dryer and that worked well temporarily. I read another post that talked about putting insulation on the inside of the door behind where the water dispenser is. I used some foam insulation, duct tape, and a funny picture of one of the kids to make light of the fact that I now have a make shift refrigerator. Regardless, it has worked excellent for the last 6 months. I would try this after you get it defrosted.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
well, since it is possible that the Kenmore and GE units are the same one, or made in the same factory, it would not be unusual for them both to have the same problem.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If the thermostat isn't working properly, it can overcool the freezer and produce this. You might want to stick a thermometer in there and see what the actual temp is. They aren't designed for much less than zero F.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks