Does this meet code? (sink trap)

Users who are viewing this thread

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Master bath lavatory. 1 1/4" polypropylene tubing joined to 1 1/4" copper by way of a trap adapter fitting. Thanks for any feedback.

Attachments

• sink_trap2_060117.jpg
    sink_trap2_060117.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 537
Last edited:

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Rugged,

Thanks for your feedback! It's been a few days now and it has not leaked. Looks like I'm good to go.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
It would not be legal in PRM ( People's Republic of Massachusetts) but most places OK . MA does not allow any slip fittings beyond the trap.

Chassis

Engineer
Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo. Based on the work I've done so far, I am confident I could sweat the whole thing in copper if an inspector insisted. Finally get to put my summer job skills to work. I worked one summer as welder/pipe fitter helper. Not an expert by a long shot, but I did learn some lessons I will never forget. Like what happens when you wear a short sleeve t-shirt and have to spend 8 hours welding. :cool:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It would not be legal in PRM ( People's Republic of Massachusetts)

REPUBLIC? It sounds more like a dictatorship, or something France would come up with.

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
HJ,

How Chassis did it is the only way I've seen it done (with PVC or ABS). How do you do it in Mass. w/o slip fittings? I'm interested in learning. Thanks!!!

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
I am not from MA now ( left there 40 yrs ago) but have internet friends on this and other boards. They require soldered copper waste arm, or glued up PVC. The trap union is the first mechanical joint allowed.

Dunbar Plumbing

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Northern Kentucky/Greater Cincinnati Area
Website
www.KoldBreeze.com
KY also enforces that code in new construction. What happens though and the plumbing inspectors don't care is when you cable that drain the cable wears a groove in the ferrule part of the turndown pipe that leads to the wall, causing it to leak. No matter how tight you spin that nut, it is a call back if you spent any time rodding that drain. 1/4" cable usually causes it and I always inspect them for damage before I leave a drain cleaning job. :(

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks