Handheld shower question

Users who are viewing this thread

frank19991999

Reaction score
Hi,

I want to buy this shower. What other part(s) do I need to buy ?
Thanks

Attachments

• koh_146779gg__l[1].jpg
    koh_146779gg__l[1].jpg
    16 KB · Views: 482

MikeG

Reaction score
Frank - I just installed one in my bathroom remodel. If this is going to be replacing the shower head then all you should need is a brass nipple that is long enough to fit onto the ell that is behind the wall to the ell fitting for the handheld.

If you are going to add this along with a shower head you will need a 3-way valve to divert between the shower head and hand held. Also you will need to run a separate line like the shower head with an ell. Then the same nipple as I said above.

Finally, you'll need a ceramic bit to drill the holes and attach to the wall (assuming it is a tile wall).

Down load the install instructions from Kohler. It was fairly straight forward for me and I'm a rank amature. :D

Mike

frank19991999

Reaction score
Hi Mike,

Actually I will replace a bathtub with a ceramic shower see the attached pic

thanks

Attachments

• dcdave2-1[1].jpeg
    dcdave2-1[1].jpeg
    22.8 KB · Views: 485

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
You need a shower control valve. Depending on the brand you buy, it may come as a rough-in valve, and then your choice of trim (handle and eschuteon sp?). Sometimes, they are all in a kit. The control valves come in pressure balance or temperature controlled.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
shower

Let me get this straight, if I am understanding properly. You intend to replace a tub with a shower, including the valve, but do not even know what you need to install that shower hose? I see a disaster in the making.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Both types of valves end up performing the same thing - preventing you from being scalded if the incoming water volume/temp changes; they just do it differently. One adjusts between hot and cold balance by use of a thermostatic control, the other, you move a lever to the place you want, and if the pressure changes the flow, it shuts down part of the flow to keep the balance the same (and thus, in theory) the temperature. The temperature controlled valve will adjust as you start to run out of hot water, or from season to season as the cold water changes (as in winter to summer). A quality valve can be set to your ideal temperature and left there winter to summer; a pressure balance one can't. Where I live, the winter incoming cold water approaches freezing, while summer can be in the 60's.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks