Installing washer and dryer in the bathroom

Users who are viewing this thread

maniac78

Reaction score
I'm installing a washer and dryer in my bathroom during a complete remodel of the bathroom. I'm planning on tying into the bath tub drain and installing a trap in the back wall of the bathroom for the washer. It will be about 2-3 feet above the floor and uses 2 inch ABS. The Y is going to be placed after the tub drain trap. Is this the proper way to do this?

Code:
Here's a rough diagram 

Washer drain tube
                               |
                               |
                               |
                               Trap for washer
                               |  
                               |    
                               | -------------------------|
                                                                    |
Tub Y for overflow and drain---Tub Trap------Y for washer----

The tub drain links up to a larger ABS pipe heading into the basement and another heading off to (I'm assuming) the sink.

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Have you checked to see if in your jurisdicition a WM must have a pan under it with drain connected? How are you venting the dryer? Is the dryer 220 volt or gas? ( Gas would not be allowed in the bedroom>)

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
drain

Your drawing is not as clear as you probably intended it, but from what we can see you have no vent for the washer trap and therefore it is not a proper installation.

maniac78

Reaction score
But isn't the drain for the tub vented already? Or do you think that adding another fixture to a drain will overload it and therefore I need an additional vent? If so then can I use an auto-vent?

Both appliances are electric. The dryer is 220 volt. I had an electrician add seperate circuits for each.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The trap for the tub should remain vented.

You can wye off for the washer, that should have a p-trap and be vented also. So what you have are two seperate traps, each vented. The vents can be combined at 6" above the highest "flood level" of the fixtures.

Without the venting, one fixture can affect the other.
When my brother moved into a log cabin that had plumbed the washer in line with the kitchen sink. Everytime the washer ran, it backed goo into the sink.

Replumbing to code fixed that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks