(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shower drain too close to the wall

Default shower drain too close to the wall

Name:  shower drain close to the wall.jpg
Views: 412
Size:  11.3 KB

The picture at the top shows how the builder has put the drain for shower so close to the wall. aren't shower drains suppose to be in the middle of the shower. I am concern about the drain. if someone can give me recommendation on how the drain can be moved so that we won't have drain problem.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

Ideally, yes, the drain is in the middle of the shower, but it's possible to place it anywhere. The hassle comes when being offset, the 'short' side to the wall needs to be considerably steeper than the 'long' side. While the shower can also work if you keep the slope the same, that means the 'short' side will be lower than the 'long' side. Most people don't like the way this looks. preferring it to be level all the way around the shower, but it does work okay. Another possibility would be to use a linear or strip drain. Finally, if you prefer it in the middle, you could either reframe, or crack up some concrete and move it.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Jim, if there is any plumbing issues with the above picture shower drain, will it be hard for me to get it fix?
    I believe it would be easier for builder to change it now since they don't have anything else up vs. in the future I am the one who would have to get it done.

From the photo it appears that "rough in" was for a left draining tub/shower unit. At the time of "rough in" groundwork, was the plumber aware of your desire for a shower only unit? Without that information, it is quite difficult to know what the end users desires will be. With a little effort (and a jackhammer) the drainage could probably be moved to accomodate a shower only unit.

A larger picture would be helpful. That looks more like a rough-in for a toilet with a single sink to the left of it; see the single pipe (toilet supply line) coming horizontally out of the wall a few inches to the left of the large capped pipe in the floor? I see what appears to be a shower valve rough-in near the extreme right top of the picture, but the floor area there is cut off.

Maybe you should ask the builder?

Your photo shows the toilet opening. There is NO :shower drain". There IS a tub drain under the faucet, be even that is "improperly installed" because there is no opening around it for the tub drain to fit and be connected.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Now I KNOW the whole world has gone crazy! People talking about "shower drains" and "tub drains" in a photo that
    has nothing of the kind in it!

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

Looks like the shower valve on the right side of the picture, but I don't see a drain.

Right under the shower valve There is a white pipe which is about 2' long from the ground in the shower area. I know the picture is not that clear.

That is the tub drain. It could NEVER be used for a shower unless it was moved. It will also be "difficult" to use it for a bathtub until some concrete is removed from around it. It was installed by someone who either did not know what he was doing, or knew that he was not the person who would be connecting the tub someday.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

If the person or company who did this won't correct it ask for their insurance information. If they ask why? Tell them you are going to file a claim.

Threatening to sue really isn't going to get you results. The insurance company will come out and see negligent work resulting in your financial loss. Bottom line.

If they say that this doesn't apply, tell them you going to file a claim and if he doesn't provide the insurance information you will contact the state to get it. You can find the state licensing department online.

They might say they hired a plumber and he is responsible. You say I hired you and you are responsible for that person's work.

This should get a response pretty quick.

Name:  bathroom_after.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  38.8 KBName:  bathroom_before.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  42.3 KB

Can someone please let me know, the way how they fixed the shower drain, is it correct? Originally i was suppose to get fiber glass shower in this bathroom, but builder made a mistake and did a recessed tile tub drain instead of fiberglass shower pan drain. Then they had drain so close to the wall. Thx.

Name:  bathroom_after.jpg
Views: 790
Size:  38.8 KBName:  bathroom_before.jpg
Views: 516
Size:  42.3 KB

Can someone please let me know, the way how they fixed the shower drain, is it correct? Originally i was suppose to get fiber glass shower in this bathroom, but builder made a mistake and did a recessed tile tub drain instead of fiberglass shower pan drain. Then they had drain so close to the wall. Thx.

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just break out the concrete enough to move the p-trap. That should be easy and quick to do.

Swan makes a 60x32 shower pan with drains on the ends.

the bottom picture is before they install fiberglass shower pan and the top picture is after they install shower pan. Does that look right?