Cracked gas regulator on new stove?

Users who are viewing this thread

TedSF

Reaction score
Hey there,

Long time reader, first time poster. Anyways today I was trimming out a kitchen and while tightening a 1/2 male by flare adapter into the stove's regulator I heard a crack, I stopped tightening there and pressurized the line and sure enough the bottom of the pressure regulator had a crack along the female threads. Upon removing the flared adapter I noticed that my pipe dope had only reached about 1/2 way into the fitting and while I was tightening I felt like the adapter was still somewhat loose (I do not believe I was excessively over tightening). Anybody ever seen this? Could the casting on the regulator be faulty? I'm gonna have to swap out the regulator either way (which will be a nightmare) but was just wondering so as to avoid this in the future. I can recall one time that I had a brass 1/2" ball valve crack but never seen or thought it was possible for a regulator. :confused:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Often, the gas fitting is a flared fitting which doesn't need to be super tight. If it is a tapered thread, then yes, tight shouldn't be a big deal. If it's a flared fitting, it technically, doesn't need any pipe dope, but you could put a little on the flared face - none needed on the threads.

TedSF

Reaction score
The flared side of the 1/2" MIP by 1/2" flare fitting was not threaded into the regulator, was the normal 1/2" IP male threading into the 1/2" female inlet to the regulator.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Regulators usually made of aluminum or some kind of pot metal = soft as hell = don't tighten like you would on steel. Watch out for the chintzy brass
gas shutoffs too, I've had to repair a few of those that got split by plumbers tightening up a nipple too hard.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks