Old vs New Solder compatability.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Rfsmith48

Reaction score
Folks,

I am remodeling a bathroom built in 1971. I believe that all the copper supply plumbing was assembled using Lead/Tin solder.

If I have to resweat some of the existing joints with the current solders...(Indium/tin?) will that work?

Because I am moving the Vanity and John, I will need to cap several lines and re-route several others.

Can I get small amounts of the Lead/Tin solder for maintainence/repair? (I have not seen Lead/Tin solder in the stores for many years.)

What say the Terry Love guru's?

TIA,

Rog Smith

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
As long as you clean the pipe and fitting, use an appropriate flux, you can use the legal solder without issues on an older pipe or fitting. Once a fitting has had water run through it, you have to take it apart anyway to resolder it...just wipe off as much as you can (which will make it go into the fitting easier) when taking it apart. I'd use new fittings, but you can reuse the old ones, but it's often more hassle than it's worth. Much easier to clean and flux a new one.

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Lead/tin solder is still used and sold, some places just don't stock it in the plumbing supply dept., although I'm pretty sure
it can still be used on copper DWV piping.

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Just wipe the "hot" solder off the tubing with a rag and then use new fittings with the proper solder. IF you do a good soldering job you will not have any problems.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks