Make metal glow with electricity

Users who are viewing this thread

carlo1

Reaction score
I'm a sculptor with some electricity experience; I wonder if someone can help me in this project I would like to do. I want to make a small metal object (a hand) and with electricity make it glow incandescent . Thank you if someone can help me
Carlo

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The only way I know of to make something glow like that is to make it extremely hot, which, depending on the material, may not last very long, and wouldn't be particularly safe. You could paint it with a florescent paint and use a black light. You could get it to arc, most likely from a finger or two if you used a Vandergrift (sp?) generator, but it would need some other metal object nearby to arc to.

Maybe someone else will have some ideas...

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
close, it's Van De Graaff generator. You would have to heat it to about 3,500 degrees and by that time it would probably be melted, or oxidize unless it was in a vacuum like a light bulb's filament.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I'm a sculptor with some electricity experience; I wonder if someone can help me in this project I would like to do. I want to make a small metal object (a hand) and with electricity make it glow incandescent . Thank you if someone can help me
Carlo
Thomas Edison did that years ago. Sorry, couldn't "resist" that pun intended, lol

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
Ever think about a spot light?

To heat enough to glow using electricity will melt the metal unless it is in a vacuum.

The paint suggestion sounded pretty good.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Thomas Edison did that years ago. Sorry, couldn't "resist" that pun intended, lol

Thomas Edison would be pissed to find out that his work was now being outlawed.

Even the easy-bake oven has a heating element now a days.

The Light bulb was more funner, but was not included for some reason.

I have melted the glass on a light bulb and reformed the glass with a soldering torch.

Maybe you could form a hand with glass and make your own light bulb, Vacuum and all.

LEDs are good for lighting things up. You can use hidden batteries with no external wires.

Have Fun.

Don't forget the fuse.

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
Do we have a Troll ?

How about Glow in the dark paint and charge it using a incandescent light.

Hairyhosebib

Reaction score
Hi Carlo,
You might think about resin or some kind of rubber. You could consult with Polytek or Smooth-on. They make all kinds of materials for movie props and making body parts that can look real and probably glow too. Hope it helps. There might be a dealer near you that could help you out.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks