(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Does Undermount bath sink need more support?

quote; Our last under mount sink.

I really hope those chains were not the only thing holding the sink in place.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by hj View Post
    quote; Our last under mount sink.

I really hope those chains were not the only thing holding the sink in place.
    HJ we used a bead of clear silicone as well. The strapping holds the sink tight while the silicone sets up.

These approach gives us slight adjustment of the sink and a two fold anchoring system (mechanical and chemical).

Kitchen sinks the same way. Never used another system in the last 10 years. never gone back for a failure.

I have fixed many other sinks that used clips and blocks before. This is so basic and so strong. Easy as pie.

JW

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.

Default oops

CanOWorms idea seems to make sense (I'm assuming you meant about "L" brackets to support the sink.)
    But often the areas to mount to have thin "wood" material to mount to. - like the cabinet back often being 3/8" thick at best.

It's great that JW's method has worked over time. But metal does stretch. But I guess not here?

Before, when I was trying to write a possible solution, I erroneously wrote 8' of tubing when I meant 8". I also wrote "double wall" when I was just trying to describe some thick tubing that could bend, but once bent, would resist compression on the widest diameter from the bend (because of the bend). But really any material that would mold into that area but then would not compress or crack the sink would do. [I was trying to say like ones you see with a layer of synthetic fibers seemingly sandwiched between two layers of black rubber . - commonly for water systems that use pumps.]

Tell us what you've ended up doing. .. or having contractor re-do.

ACO Shower Drain Sales johnfrwhipple's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The silicone is the holding power in this sink installation method. Silicone is incredibly strong and does a great job by itself. The mechanical strap tie is there as back up and not installed so tight that it applies any pressure on the marble.

JW

jfrwhipple@gmail.com - www-no-curb.com - 604 506 6792

Always get construction advice double checked by your local city hall. Flood Test Every Shower - Every Time.