Best way to connect 1/2" PEX to 1/4" copper

Users who are viewing this thread

schloske

Reaction score
I am attempting to hook-up a water line from our water filter to a refrigerator. The refrigerator already has a 1/4" copper line connected to the refrigerator that runs about half way to the water filter. The water filter has a 1/2" PEX output (currently to a sink water dispenser). I need to add a tee to that line, then run PEX to connect to the copper. At some point I have to reduce from 1/2 to 1/4. I was originally looking at Sharkbite, but they don't have a 1/2" to 1/4" reducing coupler. Watts quick connect does have a 1/2 to 1/4 reducing coupling, but for some reason, those don't seem as robust as Sharkbite. I don't want a flood. Any recommendations? Any help is much appreciated!

Jerome2877

In the Trades
Reaction score
Install a shut off valve off of the pex t. This will bring it down to 3/8", then run 3/8" pex to the fridge and connect to the copper with a 3/8"x 1/4" compression coupling.

schloske

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I actually already have a shutoff valve installed on for the line feeding the water filter, so that isn't necessary. I am hoping to use primarily push-fit fittings for ease and because I have terrible luck with compression fittings. I'm just having trouble finding the appropriate reducing connections.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Compression fittings for pex almost always require an internal reinforcement sleeve, but if you do use them, it should be easy to find the proper reduction fitting. Those sleeves are typically SS, but on the smaller sizes, they may be plastic.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks