Machinist Round pipe dies vs Racheting Pipe Dies

Users who are viewing this thread

Its.me.again

Reaction score
I want to ask about pipe dies for home use. To use dies occassionally to clean up threads on fittings....whether it be for gas or water line. Cleaning up threads on black pipe, galvanized, brass or plastic. For home use it would be small pipe, from 1/4" to 1" size. Also, might cut a new thread in black pipe once in a while.

I am buying a set of round dies and some round pipe die stocks handles to accomodate 1/4 - 3/4 npt sizes. Will these (Chinese-made) be able to cut new threads in black pipe OK for occasional use?

I am disgusted with the racheting pipe die kits I have seen. It seems you have to spend a lot and buy Ridgid to get good ones. And also- the rachet kits come in BIG die sizes. I mean , why would I need 1 1/2" npt? Also the rachets seem to have big clicks and not smooth motion. Are these cheap racheting pipe dies hard to start a thread with? All the reviews on these cheap kits seem bad.

Is it the right option to opt for round dies?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks