Tiny sink, tiny bathroom. 2" cast iron right there. Any reason not to use rubber T?

Users who are viewing this thread

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
what is there right now is really complicated. here is a sketch. Keep in mind this is only one half of what is down there. On the other side of the basement near the main cleanout there is just as much.But all that is drains directly into another 4" and no pipes connect from here to there.
What do you think about tapping into the right side washer drain exactly 49" from where the sink drain? This is a small sink that will be for occasional use. Attached also is the existing room and the sink I want to install.
basement drain pipes.jpg

bath pic.jpg

sink pic.jpg

Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
Well, the advice went silent. That is because, while what you want to do can no doubt be done according to code, you really need a qualified person on site with eyeballs to tell you how. It is too complicated for this forum. You may also have turned people off by saying, "code schmode", or whatever it was you said. I think that is the deal.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
My first instinct is to say code shmode. : )>

Well I just got back from India yesterday where they also think like that. It's nice to be back in the USA where we have plumbing inspectors.
I can drink water all day now without getting sick. I'm not saying I didn't enjoy India, I did! But it's nice to be where we have working codes to protect "investments" and "health".
Nobody will want to buy a home that has been hacked up by someone who's first instinct is to say code shmode. : )>

Helpful Plumbing Hints for Residential Construction by Bert Polk Plumbing Inspector Lincoln County

Last edited:

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
Well code schmode within reason. Sorry if I pissed anyone off. Did you use any Idian toilets? AKA a hole in the floor.
It's pretty clear from a recent investigation that the line right there, the blue line in the sketch is a dry vent line, not a waste line. If I tap into the washer drain line 50" to the left would that be vented?

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
IF that is indeed a dry vent, then it would be vented if you tie into it at least 42" above floor. What we can't really say for sure from this info is that it is indeed a dry vent, and that that dry vent has enough fixture unit capacity left to handle another lav.

You should probably consult with a plumber on this. See if you can find one who will take $100-150 of your money to take a look, and tell you exactly how to do it. It's worth the cost to ensure you're working safely. He'll be better able to advise you, as this is a bit too complicated for us to tell over a forum.

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
Well, the second floor sink wasn't draining. When I tied snaking it the snake went up instead of down. I thought the sink was connected to that blue line in sketch. There is a rubber boot prrior to where it.goes up to second.floor. but when I opened it up it was bone dry and there was no residue or buildup in the old metal pipe at all. I ended up using that hard core sulphuric acid drain cleaner on the sink.

Last edited:

Asktom

Reaction score
You seem to want to do the job correctly, given that you are still posting, but, without some qualified person there in the flesh it probably just isn't going to happen. I'm not sure if you are going to find a plumber willing to explain how to do the job, most want to do the job and could probably do it in less time than they could explain it clearly. You might be able to work with a plumber as far as the demo part goes. I'm hoping you will get a qualified person to do the drains for you. If not, I hope we at least talked you out of the rubber tee.

CanOfWorms

Reaction score
You have talked me out of the rubber Tee and talked me out of just piping into any old pipe. I'm not as thick as you might think.
I really do appreciate all your help and advice.
I am cash poor and time poor. This project isnt the most important at the moment.
I can't really afford to get a plumber in just to look. I will likely run into one in my travels that will give me a little free advice. Things like that happen to me.
I actually found some piece of HVAC dignostic equipment in a case on the side of the road about 2 months back. I looked it up and it's about $250 new. I might post an add on craigslist to trade the equipment for service.

Asktom

Reaction score
If this is a back burner project and you now have a better picture of what is involved, that is a good thing. You can keep your ears open for the right opportunity to get help and have some idea of what is involved. Happy Plumbing.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks