Looking for a good kitchen faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

Williamsem

Reaction score
I'm updating our kitchen and need a good faucet. I would like a pull down model with single hole installation for ease of cleaning. Many of those around, I know. But it's hard to see how they function with few working displays!

I want a solid docking system for the sprayer. It will annoy me to have to push it into place every time. I also want the sprayer head to lock on spray mode instead of having to continually press the button. And I want to be able to mount it with the control stick in the front instead of on the side for space reasons (and drip containment).

I'm not looking for a fancy set up. I want something easy to clean, brushed stainless/satin nickel or similar color. Preferably in the $300 or less range.

Anyone have a favorite to share? So far the Kohler Simplice is looking good, though I have mixed feelings about Kohler.

MTcummins

In the Trades
Reaction score
I've been very happy with most of the higher end Price Pfister faucets in general (kit sink, lav, shower). Try to avoid the box store models of pretty much all brands, they actually are different (use more plastic parts rather than the brass in the better ones).

Many plumbers tend to rely on Delta. I've not used a lot of their professional products (mostly worked with their Home Cheapo line), so I can't comment too much. My experience with their box store line has been mixed, not great.

Kohler is great if you're a designer. Some of their products are nice, some not so great. Its a mixed bag. If you want a pedestal sink or something like that, they usually have good quality, nice design in their china, but I don't particularly care for their actual plumbing fixtures, at least not at the price point.

All of this is from a general contractor, not a specific plumber, for whatever that's worth.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
s you said there are DOZENS of them around and almost all of them do what you ask. None of them will "pull" the sprayer out of your hands to dock it. You have to slide all of them into the docking position. Which one you buy will be a "personal decision", because every one of us has his/her preference as a "good" one. My kitchen sink has a Pfister faucet, my laundry sink has a Kohler model, and I install Moen and Delta for my customers. ALL are satisfactory.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
I have a Grohe LadyLux that's been in service for about 10-years now...works fine. Mine is brushed SS. I don't remember how much it costs, and 10-years ago probably wouldn't help, either! http://www.grohe.com/us/15214/kitchen/kitchen-faucets/ladylux/

This one has a spring that helps return it, but they all require you to push it back. Assuming your pressure AND flow are adequate, it will stay in spray mode, but goes back to stream when you shut it off.

I put in a Delta pull-down spout at my mother's house a couple of years ago. This one uses a sliding donut weight on the line to help keep it untangles and aid in returning it to the dock. I think hers will stay in spray mode until you turn it back to stream. I think the Grohe is sturdier, but that may have changed over the last decade.

Williamsem

Reaction score
I've been happy with the PF suite I picked for our full bath so far, and it's been a year. Just can't seem to get the spots off the front of the lav faucet :-/

Also like the delta we currently have, though it's definitely showing its age and also sits low above the sink. It was a breeze to repair when it was leaking though, the hardest part was convincing the big box employee that the part I picked out was what I needed when he at first insisted they didn't carry such a part. Yay for the Internet! (Though I would have appreciated a warning that you can indeed overlubricate your faucet, couldn't get the handle to stay in any position at all for a few days! Lesson learned!)

The part I'm having the most trouble with is the functional side. I've been warned not all faucets will allow for a front facing lever install, and that's not easy info to find in the specs. Also the sprayer function is not often clear unless there is some sort of fancy proprietary name to toss around (our exclusive Ever-spray button will be your thumb's best friend!).

Same with docking. I know I'll have to push the sprayer up, but some feel like they easily lock solidly in place when it gets close, others seem like I have to use two hands and line it up just so and shove it back in.

Could just be crappy displays though. Do they all allow front levers and dock pretty good these days?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Most of the display units don't have the return stuff installed - the other end must be secured for either the spring or weight to function without falling off or obstructing the other display items. My Grohe docks in place easier than the Delta unit at my mother's.

Asktom

Reaction score
In my humble opinion you are asking for a reliable, solid faucet with the current pop finish and special gizmos. There ain't no such thing. (Frank LLoyd Wright's roofs usually leaked.) You want a real kitchen faucet get chrome, Chicago, Fisher or T&S. You want trendy, get trendy - but don't expect it to last either physically or culturally. It is the age of "throw away". End of rant.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
quote; (Frank LLoyd Wright's roofs usually leaked.

To me, his houses were "dumps", but looked nice, i.e., Falling Waters. I worked on a remodel of one of his "volkswagen", (for the people),houses a few years ago. It was designed around him and he was a short person. Narrow stairways, 7' ceilings, 3" walls with 2x4 flat studs, etc. I went into another house once, and as soon as I walked in the door, I asked her, "Is this a FLW house", and she said yes, "How did you know?" I said, "because there is not a square corner in the place". He almost always used "odd" angles and it was like you had to have the furniture custom made to fit the rooms.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks