(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: what size softener do i need?

Hybrid View

Default what size softener do i need?

Here are some specs and information.

7 people in the house. 2 adults, 4 girls ages 6-12, 1 boy age 14.

Actual water usage from city water bill (avg. for past year)= 46 gal/per person per day. high month avg was 61 gal. per day. low month avg. 37 gal. per person per day. I would say the norm would be around 50.

3/4 inch plumbing. Water pressure to house is approx. 60 psi

city water

city water specs:
    hardness 25-27
    ph: 7.2-7.8
    iron .08
    manganese .03
    alkalinity- filtered 294mg/l
    TDS-456-470 mg/l ( I think he also divided these 2 figures by 17.2 and got 27 and 26.5 respectively)

http://www.windom-mn.com/wp-content/...ity-report.pdf (this is a link to my city water report. It will list some things I have not already listed.)

I have a flow rat of around 6gpm at tub and downstairs faucet where softener will be located. Kitchen sink and other faucets are much lower than these 2.
    Last edited by tomcat21; 02-22-2013 at 09:05 AM.

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

Use the high usage to figure the softener size. 61*7= 427 gallons used per day. 427*32.4 (compensated hardness)=13834.8 grains removed per day * 7 days= 968443.6. You should get a 3 CF softener.

Thanks for the reply. I am confused on what type of resin to get. I have heard of 8% or 10 % cross link. I know the city does use chlorine to treat water. Also is it true that setting the salt dosage for a higher amt will clean the resin bed better? Not even sure what this means. I have heard of setting at 6 lbs per cubic ft and also setting the softener to like 10lbs/cu ft. What is channeling and would I run into that problem if I got a 3 cu ft softener and water usage drops way down like say in 7 years when kids are graduating?
    Last edited by tomcat21; 02-22-2013 at 10:52 AM.

DIY Senior Member mialynette2003's Avatar

1 CF will yeild 30,000 of hardness removal (some say 32K) but you must use 15 lbs of salt. If you use 6 lbs you get 20,000. So you get better salt efficiency by using lower amounts not cleaner resin with higher amounts. 10%crosslink resin will stand up longer to chlorinated water than 8% but, over time, they both will need to be replaced. Channeling is when the water follows a channel through the resin instead of passing through all the resin. Channeling allows hard water in the home. You may never have a channeling problem. Using an under bedding in the system will help prevent channeling. Once the kids leave, you will have longer runs between regens but not channeling problems. You city water will have enough flow rate to properly regen a 3 CF unit.

Thank you ! I am going to purchase one within a few days. Any good recommendations? I am not going to Home Depot or any big box store. I also don't think I really need to pay $3,000 for one either.

Water systems designer, R&D ditttohead's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat21 View Post
    Thank you ! I am going to purchase one within a few days. Any good recommendations? I am not going to Home Depot or any big box store. I also don't think I really need to pay $3,000 for one either.
    PM sent.

A 2.5 Cu. Ft. system may be a little undersized from a technical standpoint, but the physical size of the system will probably a lot nicer. The 3 Cu. Ft. system uses a 14x65 tank, the 2.5 is a common 13x54 tank. That extra 10 inches of height is considerable.

The 2.5 will be slightly less efficient, but the difference may only be a bag of salt per year.