Leaking main water valve

Users who are viewing this thread

schwhere

Reaction score
The main water valve on the city side of the water meter was dripping around the valve stem -- i attempted to tighten the packing nut a bit and it seemed to stop, but noticed it again next time i passed the meter. Upon closer inspection, noticed that there was a crack in the packing nut on the bottom side where i couldnt see it. Called the water utility, thinking maybe cuz the valve was on their side of the meter, that it may be their responsibility, but was told anything but the pipe itself and the meter is my responsibility. Question is, is it possible to buy a packing nut to replace it, and can the old one be removed and the new installed while the valve is under pressure? Or any other suggestions, other than calling a plumber? Im not in a big hurry, as its not leaking much, and its not costing me anything cuz the drip isnt being metered, but it should get fixed to avoid any extra basement moisture. Thanks.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Anything on the city side of the meter is the city's responsibility. Don't mess with it. Call the city water department and tell them what you have found.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
If it is on the city side of the meter it is normaly their problem. If they don't want to fix it, oh well, your not getting billed for it.

Demark

Reaction score
In my area, the water authority has the policy that the homeowner is responsible for everything from the main in the street. If a problem occurs between the hookup and the house, it is our responsibility to fix it.

I know of one other area water auth with the same policy, except they have the option where you can pay something like $3 per month or quarter and they will take responsibility for everything up to the meter.

- Tony

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
O.K. if your worried about moisture in the basement, how far is it from the leak to you basement?

schwhere

Reaction score
the valve is actually in the basement, but on the city's side of the meter. i also have another shut off valve on my side of the meter. its leaking from the first valve's stem bacause of the cracked packing nut.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
packing gland

If the nut is cracked then you need to have someone replace the valve. Unlikely you will find the exact nut.

Someone probably tried once too often to tighten the packing gland with out repacking the valve stem and cracked it.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
valve

In this area, some communities do not even want you to turn off their valve at the meter, (because users damage the valve by breaking it or cracking the packing nuts), much less repair it. They are responsible for everything up to the point where your house pipe connects to the meter. Maybe you have to tell them that since it is not your water that is leaking, and it is no big deal, that you are just going to let it keep leaking.

Tjbaudio

Reaction score
In my town that valve is my problem. When I called about getting it replaced the water guy said there is usualy a $35 charge to come out and turn off the water at the street so I could repair it. However he had to replace my meter at some point so he waved the fee and I put in a new valve and he put in his new meter.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks