Video Baluns for CAT 5 or 6 Cable

Users who are viewing this thread

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Hey Don or anybody else that may be familiar with these items: I need to make some long wired runs for security cameras, maybe 400 feet or so and was going to use RG59 siamese cable, but then saw that there are balun transformers made for the purpose that utilize the cheaper and maybe better" Ethernet cable. They come in varieties that are passive and others that use a power "wall wart" that plug into them to feed the camera power at the camera end.
In the past, I've used CCTV cameras with BNC connectors and extension cable for them up to 120' long

Any brands or models to suggest using and or avoid?

Your advice is appreciated:)

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
MCM has a few different ones.

http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-14515

Poke around on their site to find the configuration that you need.

Camera for the Outhouse ?

Have fun.
I've seen that type elswehere Don, but if used this particular model and are happy with it, that's good enough for me. I tried ordering 4 pairs, but their website seems to have a problem and telling me that there is nothing in my cart after me placing them there. I've turned off the pop up blocker and allowed their cookies, but same problem. I'll try from home later.

Thanks.

And no, we've moved our outhouse indoors recently, so no need for that. Whata think I am anyway Don, some perv?:eek:lol

DonL

Jack of all trades Master of one
Reaction score
The price is right.

Their site works for me, I just need some extra money to spend.

Not sure if I would go 1000 feet with them but 400 feet or so, should be good.

Don't plan on sending large amounts of power over CAT cable, unless your equipment can handle the voltage drop.

I do like Wired over Wireless.

The only problem I see with using the Baluns and a long wire is near by lightning strikes.

The 50-14515 does have Built-in surge suppression protection.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The price is right.

Their site works for me, I just need some extra money to spend.

Not sure if I would go 1000 feet with them but 400 feet or so, should be good.

Don't plan on sending large amounts of power over CAT cable, unless your equipment can handle the voltage drop.

I do like Wired over Wireless.

The only problem I see with using the Baluns and a long wire is near by lightning strikes.

The 50-14515 does have Built-in surge suppression protection.

Don, the model you mention is the one I was referring to. Been in my house for 42 years now, and so far never had a lightning strike, but I was planning to run these in pvc electrical conduit mostly underground. The cameras spec show a max current draw of 280 ma, and I'm not sure what guage ethernet cablle wires are; never mind, Googled it. Looks like 22 or 23 gauge is available in bulk. Rated 6 amps or so, with a voltage drop (22 gauge has 16 ohms per 1,000 feet) right now the sangria keeps me from doing some simple ohm's law, but I think I'll be OK at 2X400 foot run = 600 oops, 800 feet, which is less than 16 ohms. These cameras have an IR filter relay that switches the IR LEDs on for night vision, which is included in the total current draw in the specs.. If it becomes a problem, I can power the cameras where they will be mounted, but no UPS back there (yet). Ha HA, I have an extra BakUPS unit.

Thanks again Don

DonL

Reaction score
If you are using a Battery Backup then the Voltage will likely drop during a power fail, or fall off quick if it is a 120V UPS backup running 9v or 12 V Cameras.

You can double up on pairs if you need more current.

You can also power the cameras at there location using batteries, and slow charge them thru Cat5.

It all depends how important it is to record video.

You may want to use shielded cable if you can. Only cost a little more to go first class.

Sounds like a nice project.

Send me details if I can help. Security is something I try to keep out of a open forum.

www.HomeTownSecuritySystems.com.

Your wife may have a problem with you laying all of that pipe, and too the neighbors house ?. lol

Have fun Bob.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
If you are using a Battery Backup then the Voltage will likely drop during a power fail, or fall off quick if it is a 120V UPS backup running 9v or 12 V Cameras.

You can also power the cameras at there location using batteries, and slow charge them thru Cat5.

You may want to use shielded cable if you can. Only cost a little more to go first class.

Send me details if I can help. Security is something I try to keep out of a open forum.

Your wife may have a problem with you laying all of that pipe, and too the neighbors house ?. lol

Have fun Bob.

I AM having fun, but I have not started laying any pipe yet.
Pipe to my neighbor's house? Sometimes I wondered if they ran a pipe from my house when it was built to steal electricity from us. There is nothing next door that I want, especially not their misfortunes and just bad luck. I wish them only the best, and hope things improve for them. Oh well, that IS another story for another day.

DonL

Reaction score
The thing nice about cat6 is that you can put in a nice IP camera.

It cost a few bucks for a good IR camera that Really works.

I like to watch the wild animals. Some neighbors may fall into that category.

Murphy625

Reaction score
I like to watch the wild animals. Some neighbors may fall into that category.

Huh? You don't need an IP Camera for that... Just go to Detroit Michigan and sit in your car and look around... You'll see wild animals all day and night long....

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score

Have fun Bob.

It is all done, and works really well through the 75 feet of CAT5, Baluns and 300 feet (each run) of RG59. Very close to being as good as the cameras hooked right to the DVR itself. The quality seems to be more related to the camera and DVR resolution than the cabling I have set up. Hoo Ha!

John in herndon

Reaction score
The work BALUN is an acronym for BAlanced-UNbalanced. it is a transformer that matches an unbalanced line (COAX) to a balanced line (Twisted pair.) You will probably need a second BALUN at the other end to revert to COAX. The wire gauge is not a big deal, capacitance is a big deal because it attenuates HF signals. That said, you should be OK with any reasonable length of CAT 5/7. Over, say, 500 to 1k feet you will probably need a line amp.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
The work BALUN is an acronym for BAlanced-UNbalanced. it is a transformer that matches an unbalanced line (COAX) to a balanced line (Twisted pair.) You will probably need a second BALUN at the other end to revert to COAX. The wire gauge is not a big deal, capacitance is a big deal because it attenuates HF signals. That said, you should be OK with any reasonable length of CAT 5/7. Over, say, 500 to 1k feet you will probably need a line amp.
Ya, I know that now; I bought the baluns in pairs, and as I said, they work great, but thanks for the breakdown of the acronym.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks