(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Video Baluns for CAT 5 or 6 Cable

  1. #1
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,768

    Default Video Baluns for CAT 5 or 6 Cable

    Hey Don or anybody else that may be familiar with these items: I need to make some long wired runs for security cameras, maybe 400 feet or so and was going to use RG59 siamese cable, but then saw that there are balun transformers made for the purpose that utilize the cheaper and maybe better" Ethernet cable. They come in varieties that are passive and others that use a power "wall wart" that plug into them to feed the camera power at the camera end.
    In the past, I've used CCTV cameras with BNC connectors and extension cable for them up to 120' long

    Any brands or models to suggest using and or avoid?

    Your advice is appreciated
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  2. #2
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,632

    Default

    MCM has a few different ones.

    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-14515

    Poke around on their site to find the configuration that you need.

    Camera for the Outhouse ?

    Have fun.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  3. #3
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    MCM has a few different ones.

    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/50-14515

    Poke around on their site to find the configuration that you need.

    Camera for the Outhouse ?

    Have fun.
    I've seen that type elswehere Don, but if used this particular model and are happy with it, that's good enough for me. I tried ordering 4 pairs, but their website seems to have a problem and telling me that there is nothing in my cart after me placing them there. I've turned off the pop up blocker and allowed their cookies, but same problem. I'll try from home later.

    Thanks.

    And no, we've moved our outhouse indoors recently, so no need for that. Whata think I am anyway Don, some perv?lol
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  4. #4
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,632

    Default

    The price is right.

    Their site works for me, I just need some extra money to spend.

    Not sure if I would go 1000 feet with them but 400 feet or so, should be good.

    Don't plan on sending large amounts of power over CAT cable, unless your equipment can handle the voltage drop.

    I do like Wired over Wireless.

    The only problem I see with using the Baluns and a long wire is near by lightning strikes.

    The 50-14515 does have Built-in surge suppression protection.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  5. #5
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    The price is right.

    Their site works for me, I just need some extra money to spend.

    Not sure if I would go 1000 feet with them but 400 feet or so, should be good.


    Don't plan on sending large amounts of power over CAT cable, unless your equipment can handle the voltage drop.

    I do like Wired over Wireless.

    The only problem I see with using the Baluns and a long wire is near by lightning strikes.

    The 50-14515 does have Built-in surge suppression protection.
    Don, the model you mention is the one I was referring to. Been in my house for 42 years now, and so far never had a lightning strike, but I was planning to run these in pvc electrical conduit mostly underground. The cameras spec show a max current draw of 280 ma, and I'm not sure what guage ethernet cablle wires are; never mind, Googled it. Looks like 22 or 23 gauge is available in bulk. Rated 6 amps or so, with a voltage drop (22 gauge has 16 ohms per 1,000 feet) right now the sangria keeps me from doing some simple ohm's law, but I think I'll be OK at 2X400 foot run = 600 oops, 800 feet, which is less than 16 ohms. These cameras have an IR filter relay that switches the IR LEDs on for night vision, which is included in the total current draw in the specs.. If it becomes a problem, I can power the cameras where they will be mounted, but no UPS back there (yet). Ha HA, I have an extra BakUPS unit.

    Thanks again Don
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  6. #6
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,632

    Default

    If you are using a Battery Backup then the Voltage will likely drop during a power fail, or fall off quick if it is a 120V UPS backup running 9v or 12 V Cameras.

    You can double up on pairs if you need more current.

    You can also power the cameras at there location using batteries, and slow charge them thru Cat5.

    It all depends how important it is to record video.

    You may want to use shielded cable if you can. Only cost a little more to go first class.

    Sounds like a nice project.

    Send me details if I can help. Security is something I try to keep out of a open forum.

    www.HomeTownSecuritySystems.com.

    Your wife may have a problem with you laying all of that pipe, and too the neighbors house ?. lol


    Have fun Bob.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  7. #7
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    If you are using a Battery Backup then the Voltage will likely drop during a power fail, or fall off quick if it is a 120V UPS backup running 9v or 12 V Cameras.

    You can double up on pairs if you need more current.

    You can also power the cameras at there location using batteries, and slow charge them thru Cat5.

    It all depends how important it is to record video.

    You may want to use shielded cable if you can. Only cost a little more to go first class.

    Sounds like a nice project.

    Send me details if I can help. Security is something I try to keep out of a open forum.

    www.HomeTownSecuritySystems.com.

    Your wife may have a problem with you laying all of that pipe, and too the neighbors house ?. lol


    Have fun Bob.
    I AM having fun, but I have not started laying any pipe yet.
    Pipe to my neighbor's house? Sometimes I wondered if they ran a pipe from my house when it was built to steal electricity from us. There is nothing next door that I want, especially not their misfortunes and just bad luck. I wish them only the best, and hope things improve for them. Oh well, that IS another story for another day.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  8. #8
    Jack of all trades DonL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,632

    Default

    The thing nice about cat6 is that you can put in a nice IP camera.

    It cost a few bucks for a good IR camera that Really works.

    I like to watch the wild animals. Some neighbors may fall into that category.
    Theory only works perfect in a vacuum.

    Cyber Security Protection for Windows C:\ > WWW.WinForce.Net

  9. #9
    DIY Senior Member Murphy625's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    I like to watch the wild animals. Some neighbors may fall into that category.
    Huh? You don't need an IP Camera for that... Just go to Detroit Michigan and sit in your car and look around... You'll see wild animals all day and night long....

  10. #10
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DonL View Post
    If you are using a Battery Backup then the Voltage will likely drop during a power fail, or fall off quick if it is a 120V UPS backup running 9v or 12 V Cameras.

    You can double up on pairs if you need more current.

    You can also power the cameras at there location using batteries, and slow charge them thru Cat5.

    It all depends how important it is to record video.


    You may want to use shielded cable if you can. Only cost a little more to go first class.

    Sounds like a nice project.

    Send me details if I can help. Security is something I try to keep out of a open forum.

    www.HomeTownSecuritySystems.com.

    Your wife may have a problem with you laying all of that pipe, and too the neighbors house ?. lol


    Have fun Bob.
    It is all done, and works really well through the 75 feet of CAT5, Baluns and 300 feet (each run) of RG59. Very close to being as good as the cameras hooked right to the DVR itself. The quality seems to be more related to the camera and DVR resolution than the cabling I have set up. Hoo Ha!
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  11. #11
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Murphy625 View Post
    Huh? You don't need an IP Camera for that... Just go to Detroit Michigan and sit in your car and look around... You'll see wild animals all day and night long....
    East Cleveland seems to be the hot spot these days!
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

  12. #12
    DIY Junior Member John in herndon's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    25

    Default

    The work BALUN is an acronym for BAlanced-UNbalanced. it is a transformer that matches an unbalanced line (COAX) to a balanced line (Twisted pair.) You will probably need a second BALUN at the other end to revert to COAX. The wire gauge is not a big deal, capacitance is a big deal because it attenuates HF signals. That said, you should be OK with any reasonable length of CAT 5/7. Over, say, 500 to 1k feet you will probably need a line amp.

  13. #13
    DIY Senior Member BobL43's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Long Island, NY
    Posts
    1,768

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John in herndon View Post
    The work BALUN is an acronym for BAlanced-UNbalanced. it is a transformer that matches an unbalanced line (COAX) to a balanced line (Twisted pair.) You will probably need a second BALUN at the other end to revert to COAX. The wire gauge is not a big deal, capacitance is a big deal because it attenuates HF signals. That said, you should be OK with any reasonable length of CAT 5/7. Over, say, 500 to 1k feet you will probably need a line amp.
    Ya, I know that now; I bought the baluns in pairs, and as I said, they work great, but thanks for the breakdown of the acronym.
    I am definitely not a pro plumber, but I am a pro crastinator

Similar Threads

  1. What does it take to be a plumber video
    By Terry in forum Drain Cleaning
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 03-29-2010, 01:39 PM
  2. Cable Drain (long cable needed)
    By dick2222 in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 07:03 PM
  3. Video projector
    By synchronous in forum Electrical Forum discussion & Blog
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-27-2008, 09:49 AM
  4. DWV Design Video
    By Nate R in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-26-2008, 05:16 PM
  5. drainage video
    By molo in forum Remodel Forum & Blog
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-11-2007, 05:40 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •