I made a mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Tyler Padgitt

Reaction score
Hey guys

I have been reading for a while but now I need some help. I have. 7 yr old lowes water softner that i bought new and added to my home. I had to install it In The lower level garage where there was a concrete floor. I have no basement. So I ran the plastic drain hose up into the ceiling and attached it to the closest thing i could find, my furnace condensate line that also goes into the septic, not outside like a normal condensate. . So I am noticing the salt discharge is starting to affect the furnace and I need to get it fixed fast. I could kick myself..

Live and learn.

Anyway. How can i drain this softner with no floor drain available. I absolutely need a softner because of my well water and I have a rinnai tankless. They don't recommend it being installed without a softner.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Yeah, hooking it up to the furnace condensate is not recommended.

If you have adequate water pressure, above 50 PSI, some softener drains can be run fairly high. It is not ideal, but most Fleck and Clack units can be run over 10-15 feet with little concern if the drain line size is adequate. Some systems can not be run very high at all. Anyone remebre the Siata valve by Pentair? That thing would gag if you put the drain line 1 foot up!

The higher the water pressure, the more likely you will be successful in running the drain higher.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Some places allow the softener discharge to go through the wall to drain into the yard. If there are any plumbing fixtures nearby, the drain can be plumbed into another fixture's drain. If the fixture drain is far away, the drain could be plumbed to a standpipe into a sink pump, piped to the building drain.

Tyler Padgitt

Reaction score
I ran a new line not connected to the condensate. It still runs uphill about 7 or 8 feet. Thanks

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
You should test the unit. Simply put it into regeneration and make sure the water is drawn from the brine tank in about 10-20 minutes when the system goes into brine draw.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks