DWV vent questions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Spaceman Spiff

Architect
Reaction score
Long story short... I am an architect playing owner / builder... My plumber bailed on me 'cause he lost two of his guys... All plumbers in the area are booked for months. I can do the work myself since I'm O/B. I've done a bunch of remodel stuff in the past, but not much new work.

I've read the IPC on vents many times, but am still a little foggy. For vent diameter, I need to use the FU capacity of the drain as the vent also?
1-1/2"=3 FU max
2"=6 FU max
2-1/2"=12 FU max
3"=20 FU max

Finally, on a circuit vent I can have up to 8 fixtures, but is there a limit on a stack vent? (I have 17 fixtures for one 3" stack vent and 6 fixtures on the other)

Thanks!!!

LittleFatDog

Reaction score
well i'm just a DIY'r myself to preface this:

stack vents are limited, naturally, by stack diameter. according to the IRC - with a (2.5" - 4") Stack Vent, there is no limit to DFU discharge into a single branch interval BUT there is a limit for the total DFU's into the stack.

IRC code
Total Discharge for Stack in DFU's by Vent Diameter would be:
1.5" = 1
2.0" = 4
2.5" = 8
3.0" = 24
4.0" = 50

now let me suffix this by saying i'm another diy with even less experience - but my forum experience tells me that misinformation gets corrected faster than the question it refers to gets answered ;)
Tom

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks