Which wax ring do you prefer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rsmith99

Reaction score
I have a toilet that has been installed for about 2 years. Today I noticed a little seepage on one side by a grout line. The toilet is installed over tile on a concrete slab. The toilet is mounted solid and does not move. It has never been stopped up and never plunged. I don't understand why they just start leaking.

Anyway, can anyone recommend a good wax ring? I have just always used the rings from the big box stores.

Thanks!
Ron

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Unless the flange is above the floor, it's going to take two wax rings (or perhaps a thick one)
Many tile floors are layered in such a way that the flange is too low for a single wax ring.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
TO make a decent seal, you must be able to feel the toilet compressing the wax ring when you set it down.

Hackneyplumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
For floor mounted toilets I use a waxseal without the plastic handyman horn. IMO the horn only is there to restric flow and to allow splashing. The bottom of the flange should be sitting on the top of the finished floor. I only use one waxseal and with a correct flange height thats all that is needed. if the flange height is not corrrect then I make it correct.

I do it right or not at all.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
if the flange height is not corrrect then I make it correct.

Then you would be pretty busy in the State of Washington.
At least 95% of new construction has the flooring cut around the flange making it recessed.
The only really good way of raising the flange, would be to cut it out completely and install a new flange from scratch. Stacking waffers on top is a joke. Those leak worse then using wax.

Though my customers get by fine and without leaks using two wax rings. Maybe they are just better at settiing bowls than the plumbers.
Just saying...........

Hackneyplumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Then you would be pretty busy in the State of Washington.
At least 95% of new construction has the flooring cut around the flange making it recessed.
The only really good way of raising the flange, would be to cut it out completely and install a new flange from scratch. Stacking waffers on top is a joke. Those leak worse then using wax.

Though my customers get by fine and without leaks using two wax rings. Maybe they are just better at settiing bowls than the plumbers.
Just saying...........

I stay busy here correcting mistakes. With two wax rings when the sewer clogs your almost assured a leak. I cut them out and install a new one almost on every new toilet install. They are usually bowed from the pressure of the bolts pulling up on the flange or broke anyway. if your going to replace it might as well install it at the right height.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
With a new install, I like using the Sioux Chief rings that stack, underneath the flange. We didn't have those when I broke into plumbing.

Of the thousands of installs I've done in the Seattle area, I haven't had any issues. It's how we do this on the West Coast.
It's really too bad that your installs leaked. I'm really sorry for you. I could give you lessons if you would be okay with that.

Also, toilets come with a 2" drain dropping into a 3" drain. Your assumption that the horn can cause any blockage isn't using the correct math. Maybe go back to school, or make your own measurements with a ruler. It's not rocket science.

Last edited:

Hackneyplumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
With a new install, I like using the Sioux Chief rings that stack, underneath the flange. We didn't have those when I broke into plumbing.

I made those by cutting the bottom off a regular pvc flange. AHHH the days. I'd like to break out of plumbing. LOL
I like to replace the flange when the guy paying will let me is what I should have said. Thats the truth.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks