I hate TOTO!

Users who are viewing this thread

GoKohlerGo

Brand New Plumber
Reaction score
Well... Terry, you do have a point. I will be painting my bahroom in the next few weeks and I have to take the tank off of my Cimarron to paint behind the toilet. I will measure the outlet and post a picture then. But, what I am trying to say is that TOTO isn't that much better tan Kohler and AS. When someone wants to buy a Kohler toilet you guys are all like "WWWEEEELLLLLLL, you could buy a TOTO and it would be A LOT better." No. Just no. Plus, you say that TOTO has "less than 1% defects" and Kohler and AS have 20%-30%. Kohler inspects their toilets at the factory and if they find any defects, they don't ship them out. It is just not true what you are saying. So, technically, you are wrong.

k-3496-cimarron-terrylove-01.jpg

K-3496 1.6 GPF Kohler Cimarron with K-4286 bow and K-4634 tank

k-4364-aa-tank.jpg

New replacement flapper. GP1078441

gp1078441.jpg

k-4364-aa-tank-clip.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

GoKohlerGo

Brand New Plumber
Reaction score
my issue with kohler is parts availability...and, while some people never have problems with their toilets, if you simply look at the trapway design, you'll see that on many of them, the outlet makes a sharp 90-degree turn at the flange and the toto designs make a much more gradual turning there. Depending on the size, shape, and hardness of the waste, things just go down the toto toilet's trapway faster and with fewer problems. Some never have a problem, others have problems on a regular basis with the kohler design. Things do not make 90-degree turns and maintain decent velocity unless done properly.

I do not ever remember terry saying kohler had anywhere near that level of defects. I do remember him saying that toto has the lowest of the many brands he sells. The 20% figure i remember was about his breakage factor and the reason why he no longer ships toilets, and limits his delivery area.

My last experience with kohler was on a special order. Each time the supplier called kohler, they said it would be shipped tomorrow. This went on for months. In a week or so when it didn't show up, they called again, and got the same story...it will be shipped tomorrow. Then, they sent the wrong thing. Then, once i got it, i was not particularly impressed...parts fit, paint, fit and finish. At that point, i didn't want to send it back and suffer the same, horrible customer service i got again. Since then (this is a shower door), the paint chips, the bearings are crappy and make noises, and even with the several holes, the system did not have a proper position to adjust the height in the track well. The holes in the glass were all rough. If you know anything about glass, you want a nice clean hole. It hasn't spontaneously shattered, but it should never have made it out of the factory, in my view. So much for quality control.

I do like some of the designs, but from an installer's viewpoint, some of their stuff is horrible, and almost unreasonable. For example, they have some shower body sprays whose rough-in must be less than 1/16" accuracy to fit properly in the tile. Do you know how hard that is to do when trying to get multiple trades to communicate? This is the only company i know of that deems it reasonable to set such strict requirements. They design in a vacuum, and not for practical use. Then, if you search this forum, you'll find stories of kohler bending over backward to help people, then you'll find others where they say, sorry, you'll just have to replace the thing...we won't help you. So much for a decent, stable design and continued availability of replacement parts. Few places carry kohler replacement parts since their design changes so often, the inventory would be huge, with no expectation of ever recovering the investment. So, do you want to wait a week or more when you need a part? If you do, buy kohler. My personal opinion and experience.
:mad:I HATE TOTO! IT IS THE WORST BRAND TO ME!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
:mad:I HATE TOTO! IT IS THE WORST BRAND TO ME!

Your experience is not the norm. One reason why many companies are still in business is that people's viewpoints and needs and desires are different. But, you are wrong about the defect rate and are making up numbers. People should realize that there are lots of individuals out there, and your opinion, while valid from your viewpoint, does not necessarily mean that it is true for everyone. Throw in some misinformation, and it becomes more like an irrational rant, rather than helpful information.

Listing the reasons why you think like you do is much more productive.

Hackneyplumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
Well... Terry, you do have a point. I will be painting my bahroom in the next few weeks and I have to take the tank off of my Cimarron to paint behind the toilet. I will measure the outlet and post a picture then. But, what I am trying to say is that TOTO isn't that much better tan Kohler and AS. When someone wants to buy a Kohler toilet you guys are all like "WWWEEEELLLLLLL, you could buy a TOTO and it would be A LOT better." No. Just no. Plus, you say that TOTO has "less than 1% defects" and Kohler and AS have 20%-30%. Kohler inspects their toilets at the factory and if they find any defects, they don't ship them out. It is just not true what you are saying. So, technically, you are wrong.

Toto side mount tank levers suck. Simple as that.

I like Toto but they have problems too. If a person does not want to admit that then I would question everything they say. IMO thats the truth and my experience. I have 3 Totos in my home and install them professionally.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks