Globe Valve repair or replacement

Users who are viewing this thread

Crosstalk

Reaction score
Hello. I have a globe type valve that doesn't close completely and looks like it's been dripping a bit from the stem. Is it possible to repair this? Do I remove the stem by unthreading from the valve body (at yellow arrow)?

I realize that replacing this old valve with a ball valve is the best choice, but looking for a quicker fix. I have soldered valves before but I am certainly not an expert. This valve isolates a bathroom in which the stop valve at the toilet is frozen open so I am going to need to shutoff the whole house at some point to repair this isolation valve or the toilet stop valve.

Last edited by a moderator:

Crosstalk

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. Yes, I am going to replace the toilet stop also but thought I should work on this isolation valve if I have to have the whole house shut off anyway. Hopefully this valve won't fall apart on me and create a bigger job!

Last edited:

Crosstalk

Reaction score
Looks like I need more help. I tried to unscrew the stem at the yellow arrow in the photo but couldn't get it to budge. How should I hold back on the valve body so I don't break things? I am starting to think that desoldering and replacing might be the right solution.

The packing nut is easily turned. Can I replace the washer by removing this part?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
My opinion. The valve may be repairable however, for the price of a new ball valve and the few minutes it would take to install it, why mess around with the repair?

Hackneyplumbing

Homeowner
Reaction score
I would leave the valve alone and use the main outside and then repair the toilet valve. The valve your considering working on is not required. or get your tools out and be prepared to replace it or remove it....IF things go south.

Crosstalk

Reaction score
I just replaced the toilet valve with a new ball type. Works well. I was rewarded with a drip from the stem of the isolation valve--hopefully tightening the packing nut has fixed it. Thanks for all the quick help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks