(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: Globe Valve repair or replacement

Default Globe Valve repair or replacement

Hello. I have a globe type valve that doesn't close completely and looks like it's been dripping a bit from the stem. Is it possible to repair this? Do I remove the stem by unthreading from the valve body (at yellow arrow)?

I realize that replacing this old valve with a ball valve is the best choice, but looking for a quicker fix. I have soldered valves before but I am certainly not an expert. This valve isolates a bathroom in which the stop valve at the toilet is frozen open so I am going to need to shutoff the whole house at some point to repair this isolation valve or the toilet stop valve.
    Last edited by Terry; 03-05-2013 at 04:57 PM.

DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar

It looks repairable. A new washer and tighten the packing nut should do it.

Quote Originally Posted by LLigetfa View Post
    It looks repairable. A new washer and tighten the packing nut should do it.
    + 1 I agree.

A wiser move might be to replace the vqlve at the toilet.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

Thanks, everyone. Yes, I am going to replace the toilet stop also but thought I should work on this isolation valve if I have to have the whole house shut off anyway. Hopefully this valve won't fall apart on me and create a bigger job!
    Last edited by crosstalk; 02-16-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Looks like I need more help. I tried to unscrew the stem at the yellow arrow in the photo but couldn't get it to budge. How should I hold back on the valve body so I don't break things? I am starting to think that desoldering and replacing might be the right solution.

The packing nut is easily turned. Can I replace the washer by removing this part?

Quote Originally Posted by crosstalk View Post
    The packing nut is easily turned. Can I replace the washer by removing this part?

No......................

My opinion. The valve may be repairable however, for the price of a new ball valve and the few minutes it would take to install it, why mess around with the repair?

I would leave the valve alone and use the main outside and then repair the toilet valve. The valve your considering working on is not required. or get your tools out and be prepared to replace it or remove it....IF things go south.

If it just goes to the toilet, forget about it and replace the toilet valve.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

I just replaced the toilet valve with a new ball type. Works well. I was rewarded with a drip from the stem of the isolation valve--hopefully tightening the packing nut has fixed it. Thanks for all the quick help.