Need help with picking the correct softener

Users who are viewing this thread

Hyde7278

Reaction score
I'm in the process of ordering a softener for my home and would like a little guidance.
There are 4 of us in the house (2 are children but want to have the capacity for when there older)
The house is 3000sf with 3 full baths and a 1/2 bath. The shower heads are low flow and the toilets are all 1.6g flush.we have a front load washing machine and a dishwasher.
The water line coming from the well is 1" and the water line in the house is 3/4" pex.

We're on a private well
Hardness is 39.65 grains
Iron is 1.1

From doing some research and browsing this forum I've determined that I need a 4 or 4.5 cubic foot softener using 6lb of salt per cubic foot.

I've called a few online retailers and they all say I need a 2 cubic foot system. I don't believe them so let me know if I'm wrong with the size ill need.

My questions are what valve should I use fleck 7000sxt or a 2510sxt. Also is it worth upgrading the media to resin tech CG8 or fine mesh.

Also I know you can't recommend we're to buy online on the forum but if you have any PM me so its not posted on here.

If there's anything I'm missing please let me know. And sorry for being long winded.

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think you would be better off with a 3 CF softener. With iron, you have to regen more often to insure the resin stays clean or you will get a dose of iron after the regen. PM sent.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
This may be a good application for a twin alternating system. A 9100SXT would handle any future needs as well as your current needs. A 1.5 Cu. ft. per tank unit will give you 24 hour soft water, and since it will regenerate more often than a single tank large system, it will help with the iron removal from the resin. Regular cleaning of the resin should be done if you plan on letting the softener handle the iron. The system will regenerate any time of the day but it will only use a maximum of 2.4 gallons per minute for a total of 20 minutes so you should never even notice it is regenerating.

Otherwise, I agree with Mialynette, the 3 cu. ft. single tank system would be adequate. The 7000 or the 2510 will be your best options, both valves are excellent quality and bullet proof.

Hyde7278

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. If I wanted to remove the iron before the softener what would you recommend? Or would I be OK with my iron levels using just the softener? Also do I need a gravel bed under the resin or not.

Also if I go with a single tank should I get it with a turbulator or with out?

Last edited:

Mialynette2003

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your iron is not that high, so just a softener will work fine. Others may disagree and say always use an iron filter to remove the iron. The turbulator will help keep the resin clean of the iron, but I would recommend the use of a resin cleaner such as Iron Out. If you use a turbulator, you will not have underbedding IIRC. With a standard distributor tube, use under bedding.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The turbulator simply moves the resin around a little bit better in the tank. We used to have a clear tank disply showing the way it worked, it was not impressive. I prefer a standard 40924 high flow heavy bottom screen w/ 32mm manifold with a gravel underbed.

I am a big fan of seperate iron removal, but at 1 ppm, a softener can be used. You will increase your salt usage slightly, and a resin cleanes (res-up feeder) is recommended.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks