(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle

Thread: newbie tub (tile) install question

Default newbie tub (tile) install question

Hey guys i installed my first acrylic tub last week. the tub is installed, I ran my backer board 1/4" above the 1" flange on the tub.(as per mirolin instructions ) I also coated the backer board with mapie auqa defence. my problem now is what is the best way to seal the 1/4" gap I have between the backer board and the tub flange? I will be installing 6x6 tile for the tub surround. Looking at it now, i maybe should of ran the backer board rate over the tub flange, but like i said I am a newbie reading the tub instuction sheet. thanks for the help

Test, Don't Guess! cacher_chick's Avatar

The installed tiles are all that is needed to cover the gap. Leave 1/4" between the bottom row of tile and the tub deck for caulk.

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

As long as less than half the tile is cantilevered over the tiling flange, it should be okay structurally since you're not walking on the wall. You don't need as much as a 1/4", but you do want a gap that can be easily caulked. Consider foam backer rod in there - it produces a better caulk joint.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    As long as less than half the tile is cantilevered over the tiling flange, it should be okay structurally since you're not walking on the wall. You don't need as much as a 1/4", but you do want a gap that can be easily caulked. Consider foam backer rod in there - it produces a better caulk joint.
    thanks guys, i was concerned about the gap, but if i caulk it good it should hold up, any makes of caulking i should be looking for? i live in Canada thanks

Quote Originally Posted by darren b View Post
    thanks guys, i was concerned about the gap, but if i caulk it good it should hold up, any makes of caulking i should be looking for? i live in Canada thanks
    This is good to know because I thought I read that the backerboard came down "over" the tiling edge of tub to a 1/4" above the tub itself. This sounds much better and easier when the tile goes on. Thanks

Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar

You want at least your vapor barrier from behind the cbu to come down over the tiling flange. Some tubs have a fairly tall tiling flange, and some are quite short...it's better to have the cbu come down over the flange. To do this takes some work; either, notch the studs so the flange is flush, use some spacers on the studs to bring it out, or depending on the cbu, sometimes, you can put a rabbit on the back without compromising it (not the easiest thing to do without it all breaking up). You do not want the cbu bent over the flange.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014