Gas Meter - Outlet Pipe Size Change

Users who are viewing this thread

jake

Reaction score
Adding new furnace (3rd) and will be bumping up to the code natural gas deliver rate for my 1" gas line and distance from meter. Do I need to get new meter to increase gas line from meter to 1.25" which will give me the higher gas delivery rates? Looking at meter it would seem I just need to chnage the size of the connectors to acomadate the large piping.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would hope you're not trying the DIY this job. Many places to err and disasterious results possible. The installer should know the answer to this, and the gas company will have the meter size information. I believe it is the gas company's responsibility to install the meter anyway. If you are just trying to determine what the install will have to do in the way of sizing, the gas company will probably be able to provide this information.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
meter

The only thing about the meter that affects your installation is its cfm capacity. As long as that is large enough, you can use any size pipe after it as long as it is sized according to the load and distance.

CityKid

Reaction score
What is the math to figure out what size piping is needed when adding extra fixtures?

Shacko

Master Plumber-Gas Fitter
Reaction score
Gas pipe

I think you are getting in over your head. You need to know what the BTU rating is from your supplier through the meter, you need to know what is connected inside the dwelling, you need to know what the cubic foot rating is per local suppliers, This is just part of the math, Sorry.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The charts are available in the National Fuel Gas Code Book. The questions you ask are a little beyond DIY. All of the gas loads need to be taken into consideration to determine the CFM required through each leg of the piping system.

Now, is any harm done by just upping the main run by one pipe size? No.
Many places, like here in San Diego, will allow you as the homeowner to pull a permit for gas work. You will need to know the codes and your work must be up to standard. The inspector will be taking a pretty close look. You do not want to be the feature story on the 11:00 oclock news!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks