How to increase water pressure/flow in showerheads

Users who are viewing this thread

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Most toilets do not rely on water pressure to flush, only gravity.

Have you done the flow measurements into a bucket as I suggested? It is premature to talk about pipe size if the shower valve is the limiting factor. Pipe size affects pressure only relative to flow. Right now, I suspect the shower head is the limiting factor.

Have you taken elevation into consideration? How much elevation difference is there between where the pump pressure switch is and where the shower head is? You can count on .43 PSI loss for every foot of elevation.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thank you for the feedback.... you do have the relatively uncommon, but the one situation ( low ph) where copper has problems. Doing a repipe with the relatively unflexible CPVC must have been a chore.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
FWIW, both CPVC and PEX have a lower flow capacity verses copper based on the same nominal size. This is because the outside of the pipe is what is controlled, not the inside, so because the plastic pipes need more strength, their walls are thicker, thus, the ID is smaller.

What would have worked better was to have 3/4" pipe running to the shower, then converting to 1/2" (which is probably the valve's inlet size, although some are 3/4" or even larger). Most things can function fine on 1/2", but high flow or multiple fixtures off one line need a larger supply coming into the area, then branching off with smaller pipes, where appropriate. If they ran 1/2" to the bathroom group, you'll find a real issue if someone flushes the toilet or tries to run the vanity sink while you're in the shower!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
40-60 does a fine job with the right shower head. I would speculate that the majority of homes in the U.S. have less than 60 psi.

CindyJ

Reaction score
The specs for that model say it has a 5.0 GPM flow rate. Most modern shower heads are 2.5 GPM. You could capture the flow into a bucket and calculate it, then remove the head and repeat the test. That will give you some indication of how much you might gain by defeating any flow restriction in the head. It is unlikely that you can change the flow characteristics in the valve.

Okay -- I did the "bucket test." I should mention that my husband has removed the flow restrictors on both the stationary and hand-held showerheads. I ran two tests. The first one ran at 2.3 GPM, the second one was 2.5 GPM. I'm guessing that the variation was due to the cycling of the pump pressure.

So now my question is, is this more a matter of increasing the water pressure, or changing the CPVC from 1/2" to 3/4"? Or should we do both?

CindyJ

Reaction score
FWIW, both CPVC and PEX have a lower flow capacity verses copper based on the same nominal size. This is because the outside of the pipe is what is controlled, not the inside, so because the plastic pipes need more strength, their walls are thicker, thus, the ID is smaller.

What would have worked better was to have 3/4" pipe running to the shower, then converting to 1/2" (which is probably the valve's inlet size, although some are 3/4" or even larger). Most things can function fine on 1/2", but high flow or multiple fixtures off one line need a larger supply coming into the area, then branching off with smaller pipes, where appropriate. If they ran 1/2" to the bathroom group, you'll find a real issue if someone flushes the toilet or tries to run the vanity sink while you're in the shower!

I went down to the basement and the good news is that there is 3/4" pipe running from the filter to various places in the house. Or maybe it's just news, not necessarily good news because I don't know the size of the original copper pipe that was replaced with CPVC. What is still unknown is where, exactly, the 1/2" is joined to the 3/4". I do know that both bathroom showers are served with 1/2" pipe from the same split source. That, alone, is probably cause for concern.

I'm expecting my plumber here today and I'll certainly have a conversation with him about this.

CindyJ

Reaction score
The specs for that model say it has a 5.0 GPM flow rate. Most modern shower heads are 2.5 GPM.

My plumber is here now and I've been discussing the pressure problem with him. He removed the Kohler Pressure Balancing Valve, took a close look at it and told me he doesn't see how an adequate supply of water could possibly flow through such small holes. I told him that that model has a 5.0 GPM flow rate and he's baffled. Could it really be that this valve is the source of the water flow problem? He does agree, BTW, that the 1/2" CPVC could be problematic, especially since it branches into two showers.

CindyJ

Reaction score

So when I asked the plumber (who is here right now) specifically about the reduced flow rate with CPVC, he said yes, it's less, but not so much that it would be noticeable. It's his assertion that it's the design of the showerhead, itself, even with the flow restrictor removed, that is responsible for the reduced pressure. And now I'm beginning to think that I don't really understand the distinction between reduced pressure and reduced water flow insofar as my experience with the shower is concerned. That is, I don't really know if it's that I'm feeling less water or less water pressure than I felt with the old showerhead and the old pipes.

I also don't want to sound like I'm telling the plumber how to do his job, but hey, I'm paying for it and I want it done right.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
Increase the system pressure at the well pump. No more than 80psi. Problem solved.

+1 But you may need to consult a professional to ensure the system is capable of producing the higher pressure without deadheading the pump, that the bladder tank precharge is adjusted, and that the pump switch doesn't have a low pressure cutoff that could nuisance trip. Also, pump cycling should be evaluated and perhaps mitigated.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
When you say "static pressure," does that mean a consistent water pressure as opposed to water pressure that fluctuates when the pump turns on and off?

Static pressure is simply the pressure that exists in the absence of flow. Resistance in the lines, valves, aerators, showerheads, etc., will all conspire to reduce the pressure under varying flow conditions.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I went down to the basement and the good news is that there is 3/4" pipe running from the filter to various places in the house...
Is this the first mention of a filter?

Filters can be flow restrictors so they too must be factored in. When there are disruptions to the plumbing system due to work that requires the system to be shutoff and drained, the subsequent in-rush can disturb sediment that used to lay dormant and this sediment can clog the filter and restrict flow with in turn restricts pressure.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Ever notice the difference in the flow out of a hose when you offer a restriction? The water speeds up when you put your thumb over the end and sprays further. A showerhead does the same thing. But, now partially shut the valve, and while the pressure is exactly the same feeding things, the spray is no longer as intense. A valve that is flowing it's max and the shower head able to take all of that, isn't creating that speedup because there's no restriction. To get decent speedup, you have to be able to supply more water than the showerheads are designed for, otherewise, you'll get a feeble spray. that doesn't mean the showerheads will spray more, but that they will spray harder - there must be a restriction for the water to accellerate in the showerhead, and 5gpm in with (essentially) 5gpm out, there's no restriction in the line, thus no accelleration.

CindyJ

Reaction score
Increase the system pressure at the well pump. No more than 80psi. Problem solved.

When I asked the plumber about increasing the system pressure from 40-60 PSI to 50-70 PSI he told me that the system would "blow" at 75, so increasing it wouldn't be a good idea. Part of what I'm up against is that I have no way of knowing if what he's telling me is correct and accurate.

CindyJ

Reaction score
Ever notice the difference in the flow out of a hose when you offer a restriction? The water speeds up when you put your thumb over the end and sprays further. A showerhead does the same thing. But, now partially shut the valve, and while the pressure is exactly the same feeding things, the spray is no longer as intense. A valve that is flowing it's max and the shower head able to take all of that, isn't creating that speedup because there's no restriction. To get decent speedup, you have to be able to supply more water than the showerheads are designed for, otherewise, you'll get a feeble spray. that doesn't mean the showerheads will spray more, but that they will spray harder - there must be a restriction for the water to accellerate in the showerhead, and 5gpm in with (essentially) 5gpm out, there's no restriction in the line, thus no accelleration.

Is the restriction you're referring to in the valve, or is it in the showerhead? I don't think there's anything that can be modified in the valve, and even with the restriction removed from the showerhead, the flow rate is still only about 2.5 GPM. Are you saying that that flow rate is okay because, as LLigetfa stated earlier, the valve is rated at 5 GPM? Or am I thoroughly confused?

The reality is, what I really want is a "hard spray" -- I don't think it matters if it is the result of increased flow or increased pressure.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
...the flow rate is still only about 2.5 GPM.

Is that the flow through the showerhead? If you remove the showerhead how much flow do you get? If about the same, then the combined flow restriction of the valve and upstream piping is to blame.

Ask you plumber what part of the system would "blow" at 75 PSI? It is not unusual for city pressure to be higher than that and most places code only call for a pressure regulator above 80 PSI.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks