Propane Gas line to Range

Users who are viewing this thread

jlw3141

Reaction score
I know messing with gas is potentially dangerous but i'm quite confident i can do i safely and properly so i wanted to run my plan by you guys before i start things..

Its a very simple project, hooking up a gas(lp) range in my shop, about 6-8' away from a 100lb tank located in an adjacent room. My plan is to run 5/8" type k copper tubing (which already have around from another project..) from the tank to the wall where the range is located. From the range to the 5/8" flare fitting i have a flexible yellow gas line with the correct fittings to make the connection. At the tank i will the connect the 5/8" flare with proper fittings to a POL fitting that will screw into the tank. I plan on testing all connections with soapy water..

My questions are:
1) Is the line sizing alright? ( i know its not too small, but is there anything wrong with too large? )
2) Do i need another regulator at the tank before the line, in addition to the one that is installed in the range? If so, what rating?
3) Do i want 'Full Flow' POL fitting at the tank or a 'restricted flow' one? I am assuming full..?

Thanks a lot!

JW

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
You need a "first stage" regulator at the tank, and if you get the right one it will have the tank fitting attached to it. The one at the range is just to "stabilize" the flow. The tank regulator does NOT have "full flow/rstricted flow" ratings. Does your fire department know you have a 100# propane tank INSIDE a room, and does your insurance company also know about it?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Unless that 'room' where the tank is has no walls (i.e., is exposed to the elements), you have a very dangerous situation. Propane, being heavier than air can pool at the floor level and you may never notice a leak until it is too late and the house blows up. There's a good reason why it's illegal and ill-advised to have one in a closed room.

jlw3141

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's. The shop is in my barn, and the tank Is in a room that is open to the elements, 3 walls the fourth is open to the outside, there is plenty of air flow.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks