(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Raise showerhead

  1. #1
    DIY Member Woodenshoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Raise showerhead

    My house was build in the eighties by my wifes grandfather and the showerheads are low. Are there any couplings/extenders on the market that are recommended? The problem is that the pipe that comes out the wall already points downwards and cannot be removed without going in the wall. Any help will be appreciated!


  2. #2
    Moderator & Master Plumber hj's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Cave Creek, Arizona


    You have to remove the pipe from the wall, but that is a minor issue. Then, there are MANY, "riser" shower arms which will elevate the head. Some use an adjustable swivel joint, while others are "S" shaped.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

  3. #3
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer jadnashua's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    New England


    Almost all shower arms thread into a fitting, and you should be able to unscrew it. Now, if they failed to anchor that fitting in the wall, that could be problematic as it might move once you get the old one out, and lining up a new one may be very difficult to then screw it in. If it is stable, you can't pull it out, it should be doable. Otherwise, you'd need to either tear up the wall, or access it from behind, which may be easier to repair.

    Another possibility is to screw on a hose, mount a bar on the wall, and use a handheld.
    Jim DeBruycker
    Important note - I'm not a pro
    Retired Defense Industry Engineer; Schluter 2.5-day Workshop Completed 2013, 2014

  4. #4
    DIYer, not in the trades LLigetfa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    NW Ontario, Canada


    Quote Originally Posted by jadnashua View Post
    Another possibility is to screw on a hose, mount a bar on the wall, and use a handheld.
    +1 on that suggestion.

  5. #5
    Plumbing Contractor for 49 years johnjh2o1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009


    Here you go pick the one that's will fit your needs.



  6. #6
    DIY Senior Member SteveW's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Omaha, NE


    I'm tall so I'm familiar with this problem!

    If you don't want to use a hose and handheld shower head as suggested, another way to go is to carefully unscrew the typical "bent" shower arm, and find a straight one to replace it with. Then, if you find a good showerhead with a swivel joint, you can sometimes get the head up high enough to work well.

    If not, go with the "S" shower arm as HJ discussed above. They do work well to get the showerhead up high, but they sometimes will want to turn a bit from side to side.

    You can also do as I did and combine an "S" shower arm with a handheld shower head like Delta for the ultimate flexibility and height.

Similar Threads

  1. Toto Upton Showerhead vs 10" Square Rain Showerhead
    By gvladybug in forum Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-27-2012, 11:23 AM
  2. pH 6.1 after softening..how can I raise it ?
    By nofears in forum Water Softener Forum, problems, installation and reviews
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 04-17-2012, 03:14 PM
  3. What do I need to do to raise a toilet 8-3/4"?
    By edanek in forum Toilet Forum discussions
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-08-2010, 02:26 PM
  4. 45's to raise p-trap arm?
    By vistaman in forum Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & Tricks
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 06-15-2009, 11:14 AM
  5. Do I need to raise my closet flange ?
    By lewis3000us in forum Toilet Forum discussions
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-12-2005, 05:26 PM


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts