(206) 949-5683, Top Rated Plumber, Seattle
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Washer,shower & sink tie in small space

While this forum is intended to help us DIY folks with plumbing problems, there comes a time for most of us when we have to realize we are in over our heads and that there are limits on how much online help we can get for major jobs. It often takes someone one site to evaluate the task. It really looks to me like you have reached the point where the best advice is to hire a plumber. On the positive side, it looks like you have done most, if not all, of the demo that needs to be done so that will save some $$. I hate to pay a journeyman's wages for doing grunt labor. Point is, you could struggle with trying to DIY then find that you made an error (or six) and the job won't pass inspection so you have to tear out and redo. There goes the $$ you are trying to save mom not to mention the time spent with a torn up house.

hows this?
    green is washer @ 2'
    green reduces at vent to 1 1/2 to keep wood intact better
    trap slightly bent inward so sink stub can 45 a little to get closer to center because of the exposed finish plumbing
    green1 1/2 vent goes behind closest stud cavity to make room for sconce lights

yellow is ran 1 1/2 because it is only bath sink & i could use the space , has clean out behind

red is vent for shower , reduces to 1 1/2 @ y for same reason as green , will prob take it behind stud on its side to fit sconce

black is new framing , might double up on side 2x4

purple sconce light & elect box will drop down & all else ran romex

pink pipe wrap

grey rebar & possible peir reinforce

blue thin old footing blue thick repair

this work? now for the waste

& yes i know copper will be a bitch but it will work
    Attached Images Attached Images  

really? so is this a how to instal a wax ring or install a ptrap fourm?
    im not rtying to be full of myself , maybe the whole mom thing threw u off i got my contractors licence @ 22-23 i forget im 32 now
    ive ran 75k + jobs , had 8 full time employes ,ive been in the trades as long as i can remember my name is tileman4 cause im 4th generation my dad was also a pool tech before doing elect and plumb on them & taught me to run copper @ 16
    this is not a huge deal here im just trying to get it absolutly to code so if i later on want to hack or take a short cut ill still be running at better than average
    ive talked to 5 foundation experts & read for hours on footings on top of the knowlage i already have
    ive talked to a few gc i know too they all said i got this
    but seems every plumber wants to make a game of it like its some secret club,
    i get calls all the time bout things from homeowners & have no prob giving them hints or tricks , or my bros in the trade yeah im not to fond of jose who just got here or the long time no licence guys , in fact im working on my gc right now but we all start somewhere & its asking questions
    its not hard to see here based onpics & so on if im doing it the best way im not doubting my self in one way if i can do it
    the house was built in the 40s so alot is wrong i know quite a few plumbers would have said u have to use the 1 1/2 old roman tub line & its gonna be off set like hell & its gonna sit higher so forget the low pro curb
    but hey thanks your doubt fuels me & drives me
    fyi heres a few of my most recent jobs

what builder / tradesmen / inspector let middle pic fly?i re run all cop and vents for this & all my others

Name:  tn-1.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  4.2 KBName:  tn-2.jpg
Views: 51
Size:  4.2 KBName:  tn.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  4.7 KB
    ok so after taking a break to do another job im back and offer up my sincere apologies for any arrogant remarks, i came at you guys looking for a quick answer to a trade that takes years to understand like my own well after many hours ( 20+ !!!!!) of researching codes i came up with this.....
    now the shower to be centered needs a deep drop before trap for wier to clear pipes so getting a wye vertical branch off that main 2" was a no go i was gonna use combi but heard the san tee was proper to allow vent to work
    not sure if i can split horizonal branch like this but moving it over far enough left is no easy task
    all fixture will have own 2" vent to tie above didnt want to start that considering i need to pour footing & frame in with out hacking up studs
    also i decided to doulbe up wall to 2x8 so give room for all be in wall
    i humbly ask for any critic as i have almost gave up a few times
    thank you

Forum Admin, Expert Plumber Terry's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The last set of pictures are too small for me to see.
    You can have 800 pixels or smaller.

The washer and tub need 2" for the waste portion and 1.5" for the vents
    The tub can use a 1.5" trap and trap arm after the vent.
    A shower needs 2" and 1.5" for the vent.
    The lav can be 1-1/4"
    Nobody really has that, so we run that in 1.5"

It looks like you're doing that.

If it's on the vertical, then a santee for venting, or a double fixture cross
    If it's vented on the horizontal, then a wye fitting for the vent.

Offsetting the washer standpipe after the p-trap is fine.
    I like to use shutoffs with hammer arrestors for the washer box.

The job pictures above look fantastic !
    Last edited by Terry; 03-03-2013 at 08:44 PM.

quote; got any suggestions

The first one would be to go to a plumbing school for 3 years to learn how to do plumbing, then do the job. The second one would be for you to call a plumber. The third on is that the pictures are so confusing I do not even know what they are showing, but they are absolutely no help as far as designing a system is concerned. Fourth, clean up the pictures. We do NOT have to know you are using "street 45s", or "sleeved 2 inch" for example. The "middle picture" was never inspected and it was probably done by some DIYer or handyman. Doing pretty tile work is NOT the same as doing "pretty" plumbing work, nor does plumbing swimming pools make someone a plumber.
    Last edited by hj; 03-04-2013 at 07:38 AM.
    Licensed residential and commercial plumber

thank you terry
    no joke thats my name too!!

this was one idea fyi i am lowering the pan so i can use 1x4 for damn thats why drain so low

Quote Originally Posted by Tileman4 View Post
    this was one idea fyi i am lowering the pan so i can use 1x4 for damn thats why drain so low
    but i thought the whole joint was a prob waiting to happen
    didnt know how to branch horizontal , i know combi but then w long sweep & long sweep vert just to move over a bit? ive been told that y on its back has to have that 45 on the arm

and this i was more fond of but hj said no go ...... and i suck & and im not pretty guess my pops sucks too i dunno
    this looked like it had as little areas to clog & all units have vent that only tie in near ceiling all in 2 "
    guys i get it , im no plumber, i can do some plumbing but far from pro
    what has thrown me on this is i never deal w washer most dont have washer in bath but im trying i have read so much on fixture rating ventdistance & tie in at what hieght reverse suction wet venting double fixture tee ect if u got some critizing id love it beat me up & give me smack talk tell me my momma be ashamed of me but gimmie a bit of advice too little hint maybe
    im not trying to front im in pretty deep i know i can do just not to sure bout the spliting into 2 horizontal lines so close together
    heck washer stand pipe was 1 1/4 before i wanted that right & all my tile buds said they see 1 1/2 from tub they do shower in same so i know im going overkill , im lucky i got a mom thats letting me take so long to learn it cause contract job i would have subbed
    im just trying to get better , put food on my kids table & support their mom
    so if all there is out there is haters well so be it but we all have things we could learn remedial or master level all we need is a good teacher