kitchen sink, dishwasher drain backed up

Users who are viewing this thread

fhorta

Reaction score
Kitchen sink is backed up. I guess dishwasher and kitchen sink share same drain (also next to each other). Dishwasher also gets backed up. There is a clean out access outside the house directly in front of kitchn sink. When i first opened it it had lots of grease looking blob, if that makes sense. Cleaned it out and helped back up for little bit but with plug back on now its backed up again. Also, the washer machine water ends up on this drain becasue we noticed that when washer drains the kitchen sink and dish washer get full. Im in process of getting an elctric drain snake problt 1/2 in by 50ft and just start running it whereever i can. Obviously new at this. Just wondering if any one has ideas or sugestions? Also, i have septic system but i figured if it was full i would have issues in all the house drains and not just that one. Thanks so much for any idea as.

MACPLUMB

In the Trades
Reaction score
First off open the drain clean out plug and let your water flow !
this is where you need to run the snake though but be sure only run until drain is clear ! you do not want to run cable into septic tank ! ! !

Run cold water in kitchen sink while you are running the snake when the water stops
running out on the ground the drain is open, then do a test by running the washer
with a full load of just water to test the drain !

fhorta

Reaction score
I think i got it. The mini-rooter i used did not have forward gear. So i just pushed in snake manually as far as it would go then turned on rooter on reverse of course and manually continued to push snake in. I was worried a reverse Action might not do the job but i guess as long as your pushing in the line direction doesnt matter? Anyway, i must of been about 40ft when i noticed the water was no longer leaking on the ground. I did have the water faucet on low though. When i opened more some water leaked onto the ground but i guess probly due to i opened it almost all the way. But most of th?e water was going down the drain. I turned on dishwasher on full load and so far when it drains it is going down the drain like its supposed to.

I wonder if they sell heads that are built for say, counter clock wise directional snakes. Since im stuck on reverse im just wondering for future need. That way if i ever have a clog due to hair or something the head will catch it. I hope im making sense. Thanks for your help.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks