Sunroom addition

Users who are viewing this thread

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I'm building an addition...a sunroom. It's 16x20 and will not be heated or air conditioned, so will be a partial use room.

The room is being built on the west side of the house where I had planned on putting a deck, but decided to build a covered room instead.

I already have on the west side, an exterior light and a gfci outlet. I wired the entire house when building it new and I put the light box and gfci outlet on one circuit. In total, I have three exterior lights and 1 20am gfci outlet.

This is all on one 20a breaker.

My question is for the room. I plan to put a modest # of outlets in the room, a ceiling fan w/light and perhaps 4 wall sconce lights.

Would it be appropriate to have on one circuit, 6 outlets, 4 wall sconce lights, a ceiling fan/light and 2 outdoor light fixtures? I'm not worried about popping the breaker as I know this will get very little use, but this will be inspected and am wondering if this will present a problem.

thanks!

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's no problem having all that on a 20A circuit. Depending on the electrical codes in effect in your area, you may have to put that circuit on an
AFCI circuit breaker. This is new construction and must meet the requirements of the current electrical codes.

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
There's no problem having all that on a 20A circuit. Depending on the electrical codes in effect in your area, you may have to put that circuit on an
AFCI circuit breaker. This is new construction and must meet the requirements of the current electrical codes.

Thanks!

that's what I'll do then and see how the inspection goes...is they want a separate circuit, I'll leave things such that I pull a new wire.

Not sure about the acfi...this isn't a bedroom, but I need to research that part of the code...my latest copy of the code is from 2008 I think. My experience w/ acfi breaker has not been positive....so, personally, I don't see the advantage of them, but if that's the code, then I won't have much choice...at least until after inspection.

thanks again!

JWelectric

Electrical Contractor/Instructor
Reaction score
my latest copy of the code is from 2008 I think.
from the 2008 NEC
(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

backwaterdogs

Reaction score
from the 2008 NEC
(A) Dwelling Units. All 120-volt, single phase, 15- and 20-ampere branch circuits supplying outlets installed in dwelling unit family rooms, dining rooms, living rooms, parlors, libraries, dens, bedrooms, sunrooms, recreation rooms, closets, hallways, or similar rooms or areas shall be protected by a listed arc-fault circuit interrupter, combination-type, installed to provide protection of the branch circuit.

Thanks!

I built this house in 2006....Likely the acfi breakers were required, but my house was outside of a jurisdiction that enforced any code...outside any city limits. My only experience with them was in a previous house where they were constantly tripping (I didn't put them in or wire the house). So, when I wired the new house, I decided not to put them to spare any trouble and the expense

If they work, I don't have a problem putting them in, but seems to me they are there to protect the home poor, loose or other deficiencies in the wiring....not that I can't screw something up...I was pretty anal about all the connections, esp outlets. Everything is pigtailed, twisted, wire nutted.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Many of the originally available AFCI devices were a bit sensitive, but that isn't generally true anymore.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks