Integrated supply lines on new faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

akmacs

Reaction score
Hi, I purchased a price pfister selia faucet for my kitchen and it has integrated 35" PEX supply lines that seem pretty rigid. They are much considerably longer than I need and I seriously doubt I can bend them as would be needed without kinking them, not too mention the stress they would put on the valves (hot side is a sweat-on cold is compression) if attached in that manner. Would it be ok to shorten the PEX supply lines and put on an adapter to connect the typical braided supply lines? I have a PEX cutter and crimper (not sure that is what its called but it attaches the collars) as I have had to do some plumbing in my motorhome, just not sure if the professionals here would think that is an ok solution or whether or not the adapter is available. I can exchange/return it but it seems in the years since I have bought a faucet, integrated supply lines are pretty common so not sure how easy it will be to find one without them.

Would you exchange and look for something else or shorten the PEX lines? Are these integrated lines becoming a problem for this reason, or is it just me? :)

Thanks!

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
PEX comes in various forms, and depending on which one, can be successfully bent or coiled into fairly small radii. The installation instructions should tell you the minimum circle. If it's a standard size, you can cut it off, pick up the properly sized internal reinforcement ferrule, and attach it to the shutoff as if it were a solid copper pipe using a compression fitting. I'd probably just coil it and attach if it has pre-attached fittings on the end, but make sure to keep the radius at or above the minimum they state.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kreemoweet

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes, the integrated supply lines, whether PEX or something else, are becoming a major pain in da dumpfelsticks. Clients are always coming
home from the Big Box with those things for me to install, and the existing setup frequently does not match the (nonremovable) fittings the
manufacturer put on the faucet.

akmacs

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, I'm leaning towards taking it back but I'll probably check a local plumbing shop in town and see what they sell there. If I end up finding the same integrated supply lines I will just stick with what I have and cut them pretty short and put on an 1/2" male adapter and go with the usual supply line from the shut off valves. Just another place that can leak but if they can bounce all over alaska in my motorhome without leaking they should be ok under my kitchen sink. Now I just have to build a new bottom into my sink base since the factory 1/4 particle board one is no more. Didn't help when I turned my water back on and forgot that I had not reconnected a supply line on an open valve, that was fun :rolleyes:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Why use extra fittings and tubing...BrassCRaft, and others, make a shutoff designed to attach to pex tubing. In fact, any 3/8" compression shutoff will probably work IF you get the SS reinforcement ferrule/bushing. Cut it off the proper length, slide the compression nut on, slide the compression ring over the tubing, slide the ferrule inside (so it has something hard to support the tubing when you tighten the nut), tighten it up, and you're done. The shutoffs you have would probably work, but you may need to pick up a new compression ring and nut - might be easier to just replace them, and I'd use 1/4-turn ones. The Brasscraft p/n that has everything you need is: G2CR19PXX C.

Last edited by a moderator:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most manufaturers supply replacement ferrules to use if you have to cut the lines shorter. If yours did not come with them, buy new "plastic" ferrules at any hardware store.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks