Can someone help me determine my needs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Gloch

Reaction score
I need to install a water softener and I am not sure I have a grip on all the considerations. Here is the information I have thus far:

6 people / 3.5 baths
The city water: 14.2 gpg /243 ppm

What else am I missing for information gathering?

-gl

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
Pipe size, and the city report will let you know if there are any other concerns. iron, manganese, pH, etc.

With your rough numbers, I would recommend a 2.5 Cu. Ft. 7000SXT softener.
The chart shows a 2 cu. ft. system, but considering the number of bathrooms, a system rated for higher flow rates would be recommended.
Softener sizing chart.jpg

Gloch

Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendations.

As to pipe size, this is a new home that was plumbed for a softener. Are we talking about the size of those connections or the water main? Still working on getting the city report for mineral contents.

-gl

ditttohead

Reaction score
The softener loop pipe is what we need to properly size your unit. The municipality will usually have the water report posted on their website.

Gloch

Reaction score
Sorry to dig up an old thread but, I still haven't installed a system and I really need to. In looking at the city's water report, they don't list any of the factors mentioned in their test results. Should I get a separate test done? IS the 7000SXT still the system of choice for my needs?

-gl

Reach4

Reaction score
Yes, you need testing. You can test for hardness yourself. The Hach 5B test is widely respected. Consider ordering it directly from them. Check friends to see if they want anything, because shipping charge is significant.
You may or may not need an iron test. Have you seen any orange staining in toilet tank inside walls? If so, get an iron test to learn the numbers. Whether you do it yourself or have it done, that figures into your softener plans.

That was a pretty minimally useful report, and was totally useless to determine what you need in a softener. Maybe you could ask the water department for hardness, iron, and manganese numbers. Manganese testing is usually not so important in that it usually correlates fairly well with iron.

ditttohead

Reaction score
If it is a municipality, they will provide you with a very detailed water report, or they will have it posted on their website. Make a couple calls and see what they say.

Good luck!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks