Venting emergency drain.

Users who are viewing this thread

pdfj

Reaction score
IMG_20130204_165438.jpg

Code allows the use of a wet vent for the bathroom group which in my case is a sink, toilet, and shower drain. About 8-10 feet down stream of this group I have a washing machine drain with its own vent. I also need a emergency drain in my mechanical room. Does this need a separate vent?

frodo

In the Trades
Reaction score
yes, is the short answer. i am a upc plumber. the ipc drawing you have. altho code correct. if the vent is rolled, goes against everything i was taught
it is my understanding, that it was adopted, due to structursal restraints. and or difficult roughing in situations when the correct fall can not be achieved stacking the fittings.
so that said. can you add a vent or 2, that toilet will pump and the shower will gurgle. it wont happen today. but down the road
when the pipes no longer scour them selves and you get a little build up. on the walls of the pipe. the router rooter man will be your bestest friend. others will disagree or not

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
YOu show a "closed system". Which way does the water flow to the main line? You can connect the floor drain to the lavatory's vertical riser and comply with venting requirements. Your other drain, however, may not depending on the direction of flow.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I also need a emergency drain in my mechanical room. Does this need a separate vent?

Only if you want it to remain sealed when any othe plumbing in the home is used.
Yes. By all means do all plumbing fixtures correctly. Some little used drains, like floor drains may even need trap primers to keep them from drying out.
A washer runing by that floor drain will suck it dry though.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks